No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 08:41 PM

Default Repti rain

I tried searching for relevant threats but didn't find anything ...

Does anyone use the repti rain system in their vivs? The reptile place near me has a system as a very good price so I was wondering if people use them much on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Repti rain

If you're talking about the Zoo Med device, I used it for a little while, but I didn't personally like it. It struck me that the water gets used up very quickly, and there were some other small problems that I can't remember offhand.

Someone somewhere else on Dendroboard suggested using MistKing systems instead of the Zoo Med one.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 AM

I have used the ExoTerra monsoon system which I imagine is probably similar to the one you speak of and wasn't very happy with it. MistKing is supposed to be the best by far, but if you only have one tank it's overkill. Just hand spray with a regular ol' bottle, or get the exo-terra misting bottle with continuous spray (that's what I use because it has finer mist).

Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 AM

Mist King is a quality product with a history of functioning well for a very long time.

It is modular, so if one component happens to fail, that one component can be replaced.

All-in-one systems made in China and branded by companies that primarily cater to the Petco crowd are produced with a certain price point in mind. The unit you mention has a 2.4 star rating on Amazon right now -- that's really low. The various MistKing units have nearly five star ratings there.

A person has to ask himself if he wants to spend a dollar now and have to freak out in 6 months when the 'good deal' he bought fails at the worst possible time (and then spend another 2 dollars to buy a decent replacement product), or if he wants to spend 2 dollars now and not worry about it.

Disclaimer: I hate filling landfills with my money.
Dane likes this.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Mist King is a quality product with a history of functioning well for a very long time.

It is modular, so if one component happens to fail, that one component can be replaced.

All-in-one systems made in China and branded by companies that primarily cater to the Petco crowd are produced with a certain price point in mind. The unit you mention has a 2.4 star rating on Amazon right now -- that's really low. The various MistKing units have nearly five star ratings there.

A person has to ask himself if he wants to spend a dollar now and have to freak out in 6 months when the 'good deal' he bought fails at the worst possible time (and then spend another 2 dollars to buy a decent replacement product), or if he wants to spend 2 dollars now and not worry about it.

Disclaimer: I hate filling landfills with my money.
Thanks. I checked the reviews right after posting here and tried to delete my post but couldn't figure out how to.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Thanks. I checked the reviews right after posting here and tried to delete my post but couldn't figure out how to.
No problem. Glad you got the info you needed.

Don't feel as if you should delete posts/threads just because you answered your own question; there will be lots of folks with the same question in the future, and these threads are a valuable source of information.
chericollins likes this.

- Whitman
Old 05-06-2019, 01:55 AM

MistKing is the gold standard. An alternative that I've found but haven't really tried is CliMist

https://www.climist.com/
Old 05-06-2019, 02:45 AM

This is interesting. I'd not heard of Climist before.

Looking at both side by side, I notice that MistKing has switched to a 24vdc timer (my ~3 year old MK has came with an off-the-shelf digital 120vac seconds timer). This is a problem, since a replacement -- if ever needed -- cannot be sourced easily except through MK. (Edit: reviewers say the 24v timer can be removed and the MK system run with any 120v timer.)

The Climist looks like a legacy MK with a 120vac timer. This looks like a great alternative to an MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
MistKing is the gold standard. An alternative that I've found but haven't really tried is CliMist

https://www.climist.com/

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 05-06-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:36 PM

I can't imagine the climist being a bad product. IME there are 2 different classes of products we are talking about here. It is very similar to looking at the difference between a car and truck. You would probably not try to use a car for a construction business. But if you bought any truck from any of the major brands ford, gm, Toyota, dodge they are all pretty similar and will do the job as well as one would expect from a consumer truck.

Mistking uses a diaphragm pump that they purchase from a particular company and I am pretty sure all the high pressure mist systems purchase from that same company based on what I have seen. All the other parts used in a mistking besides the timer are litterally off the shelf push connect fittings and hose. The other guys are buying similar products. And they are so similar that there are quite a few people here who actually own other products but will refer to the them as mistking just for simplicity similar to how some people call every smart phone an iPhone. For instance I have an aquatec 8800 pump and its been running fine for years only 1 of my 3 pumps is a mist king yet I will sometimes just say mistking because its easier than explaining it. Also one would expect with how little we mist that these pumps would last forever. Similar pumps are used for furnaces and expected to last 10 years doing more duty than we do.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:08 PM

I think this question has been answered already but I thought I'd chime in since I have a Repti-rain. I got it at a garage sale for $5. It's sitting in a drawer. That's about all anyone needs to know about them.
My 2 gal pump style hand mister is much better than the repti rain.