Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A number of my long distance frog friends have been pestering me to post pics of my frog room. Pretty intimidating compared to most people here. Still, it brings me great joy and escapism. While nothing more than two racks, it generates smiles. With that said, I'll take you on a brief spin.

We live in a small apartment. Why, you ask? Because Mrs. Zoomie and I want to buy a place on 25-50 acres. Helps us to stack up cash.

I only had two small interior walls to work with. The room also houses all my fishing gear, geocaching swag, books, and photography gear.

As simple as it gets. Two racks with a shelf trapped in the middle. My lovely wife picked out the woven boxes above giving me lots of storage. Sorry about the shadows. Fill flash was shot from below.

8 tanks total. 4 18x18x24 Exos, one 50 gallon, and three 10's for grow outs.

Here is the left rack. Chazutas are in the tank to the left. The yet-to-be-built Exo is in a heated race. It will end up housing Southern Variabilis or Vanzos. A horribly tough decision.

Below are my tad cups. They are warmed to 75 degrees by the growout shoplight.

To the right of them is my incubator. Just drawers with Petris,lids, and paper towels in each drawer. I lost a few eggs with this set up when fall arrived. I believe I have the problem solved but am still watching them like a hawk.

The bottom shelf houses a PC case with PSU and fan controllers. I will add the herp keeper to it once I get done running additional wire.

It also holds the growout tanks. THey really aren't growouts so much as morph tanks. I peel the tape off the tad cup and tape to the glass. Yes, I snatched the idea from Chesney. Good people borrow. Great people steal.

The right rack has the Bakhuis Mountains in the left Exo and the Leucs in the right. The 50 houses my wild biker gang of Auratus. The big storage container on the bottom is my not-so-secret stash of wood and cork bark.

The trapped shelf houses springs, iso's, FF and water. The Mist King will replace all of the water and draw from twin 3.5 gallon buckets.

All my bugs. With the exception of two species, they came from Doug aka Pumilo. I love my bug cultures almost as much as the frogs. Big thanks to Pumilo for helping me get them set up and stable.

Pretty self-explanitory here. I ran dual media cultures between Joshs and Superfly. Frankly, production is about even. Last week I settled on Superfly. I think that Alan has a fantastic product and it's worth the money to me.

The Watcher ! He keeps Mr. Cowboy Potatohead company.

As you can see, nothing special and all pretty low-tech. I can say that with the exception of the Auratus, everyone is laying eggs. A testament to all the great froggers here that have killed themselves to help ensure that I had a vague clue as to what I am doing. And most importantly, that my frogs have satisfactory homes.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Awesome work, Zoomie! I really love those tanks all grown out!

·
Registered
599 Posts
very nice vivs! a lot better than some of the overnighters people throw together on here.

·
Registered
509 Posts
very nice i wish my apartment was so well organized with my frogs and supplies.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

I do like that I now can find everything very quickly and I don't have piles of cups everywhere !

Lisa, just let me know when you're ready and Cory and I will come over and help you. Gives me a chance to steal some more good ideas.

Davis, you're welcome to come over any time you like. Let me know if you need a ride.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nice! I too feel the pain of having limited space - all your tidyness makes me jealous.

This makes me wanna stop by on my way to NC mid-December to drop off misc. plant clippings so your room can become as unorganized as mine.

Instead of melano/hydei I just write "M" or "H" :) That's the only useful tidbit I've got worth stealin'.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Looks good, sweet viv set ups too. Nice to see it is still at the hobby level of manageable tanks. Many times I miss my walkout basement and the 30 tanks I had, I need to remind myself of that when I find it hard to take time for the 6 I currently have.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steven, you're welcome to stop by, with or without plants. :D Froggers are always welcome!

Mark, while I drool over so many of the frog rooms here, this works perfect for me. I wanted this to stay fun without it ever feeling overbearing. I have room for just enough species to keep things interesting, while still having plenty of time to observe and learn about each.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very nice.

You've given me some solid inspiration to get organized as well as a new perspective on how to lay out my future tanks.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Nice room Zoomie!

I'd be careful stacking spring/iso cultures like that, it looks like your lids close tighter than mine but I had issues with springs getting into the wrong cultures, just something to watch for.

Really clean setup, I like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts