Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
cleaning agents

like Melissa said...both trade names are chlorhexidine. All are safe to use on frogs and various other animals as far as my experience. You can use generic chlorhexidine or novalsan scrub or solution. We use this for surgery prep at the hopsital so its good to keep on had in case you need to preform minor surgery or scrub on your frogs (although if your cleansing the frogs simple saline is the easiest to use). I have used Roccal as well but have found that its a stronger concentrate so you need to dilute it a lot more. For general cleaning purposes though, these products all seem safe to use. Hope this helps.

Ryan

· Registered
92 Posts
safety

hey melissa,

as far as i am concerned novalsan is pretty safe. everything now adays may contain carcinogens. many medicinal drugs that we use today can cause complication in high enough doses and frequency. We used novalsan at my first animal hospital and as long as it is diluted enough it should not have a deterimental impact on your animals. This is all personal experience though. I dont think any proper studies have been conducted on amphibians. Its like any cleaning agent...you dont want your animals swimming in it. If you use chlorhexidine solution bases then they are pretty safe. they are now using chlorhexidine in dog chews for breath and tartar control. So it being ingested in small amounts isnt a problem otherwise it wouldnt be passed for safety for oral ingestion. I also use a mint disinfectant (i think its didecyl dimethyl ammonium chloride). Its a germicidal disinfectant and deodorant that which is pseudomon, staphylo, salmonelia, bacteri, fungi and viricidal as well as mildewstatic. So pretty much it does it all and it has i high dilution factor of 1:128. Im not sure if you can buy this off the market but just letting you know stuff like this exists. If i were to go with anything though i would choose a chlorhexidine based product to use as my cleanser. hope this helps.

ryan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.