Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about trying this. I read an aquarium post that talked about it sucking, but i would like to see what u guys thought about it?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I use one for my corner viv to power a waterfall and it works great for me. Not a lot of power, but then again, i don't want a huge current in there. It's like having a mini-canister filter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much water so u use it for? How strong is it could it pump up a couple feet? Also How clear does it keep ure water?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have one too, it runs a waterfall and a pond on a 40 gallon that has 3 gallons of water in it, and works great. I would not use it on an aquarium full of fish (or even a turtle tank) the flow is too low. I'm actually going to get a couple more for my newts and bombinas. Both of those will be in addition to internal filters. The water is brown because of tannins, but crystal clear.
Ed

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
How high can those pump water?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted to use it in a plaudarium with like no-more than 7 gallons of water and put tetras in the water section. I kinda thought that The advantage to haveing this oven an internal filter would be that I wouldn't have to have the internal one and a seperate pump to run the water fall. The only thing is that it would be in an 30 hex so it would have to draw out over the back of the tank and then back in as the outflow for the waterfall. Do u think this filter would work for the purpose?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What about if you drilled it so it wouldnt have to go over the back?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have my tank drilled for the filter now, but previously i had the tubes going in over the top. Both work fine. The only thing will be figuring out a way to seal the top if you go that route.

Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about if you drilled it so it wouldnt have to go over the back?
I really don't want to drill, too much time/effort and I would have to buy a special bit. I I was gonna drill I could just use a sump just use a sump :wink: :)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have just recently set this filter up and it makes a LOT of noise compared to my maxi-jet pumps. When you said it makes noise initially, is it like a "static" sound? Kinda like a radio "crackling" sound.

I'll try your advice for running it a day, but if it keeps making noise I'm selling it.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Doug,

Canister filters, in general, make noise if there is any air available to the impeller. Once they work this out they are usually much quieter. I have used ZooMed pumps to pump water from my reef sump into my refugium. I basically treat them like disposable pumps because they seem to reliably die after about a year (just my experience but it has happened twice now).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had one of my Zoomeds since December of 2005. It still works great and sucks water up 24" and pumps it back up 12". It churns and filters the water feature in my 55 gallon viv. I guess around 2 gallons. The sound it makes everynow and then is just air that has gone into the filter, that will go away soon enough. I love these and think they are great, I have two.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have been running my 501 for about a week now during construction.

After running salt tanks for over 10 years, I have to say this is one of the quietest pumps/filters ever. I think the initial sound comes from sucking the air out of the blue sponge or head space in the canister.

1 thing I will note. The input is lower than my output so when I drop power or unplug the unit, it will back siphon causing basically an unprimed pump condition. When power is returned, I normally have to fill the canister up so it can begin to actually suck water and do it's thing. This will be an issue for me.

This may be solved by putting the actual canister below the input level of my tank but the instructions say not to do this.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have one also that is about to be put to use again and i think they are great little filters. powerful for their size and they are supposed to be able to handle up to 30 gallons of water. i originally had it for some turtles and while it couldnt quite hand le them on its own, it would be perfect for
a water feature.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Once they're primed and running smoothly, they're fine, but I thought the amount of fiddling needed to get all of the air out was a bit excessive. I'm not sure if this is a design issue, or a one off issue, but I had to play with it to get all of the air out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts