Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a zoomed 36x18x36 about a month ago from a local mom and pop shop to start my Paludarium build. My last viv build was in an Exoterra that i bought used and never had a single issue. I could not find an Exoterra 36x18x36 anywhere which is why I went with Zoomed. As soon as I brought it home, and unwrapped it, i noticed one of the hinges on the door was broken and the door almost fell on the ground.

I called the shop and they told me to bring it back or call zoomed. I chose to call zoomed because it appears to be quite difficult to get a 36x18x36 at this moment. I called zoomed and they went above and beyond to make it right. Additionally, they were very easy to get ahold of by phone and I spoke to a rep within about a minute of making the call. I was happy with the outcome and even more happy with how helpful the Zoomed rep was.

My enclosure has been in the garage for a bit as I plan and design the items inside. Last night I was working on the screen of the enclosure and noticed a small crack at the upper backside of the enclosure. I filled it with silicone.

The more I thought about it, I became worried. My budget for the build is gonna end up costing around $1500 plus or minus a couple hundred. I began to worry about the qc issues. I'm about to spend all this money and time on this build and I'm literally affraid to move the enclosure. I'm worried of the problems that may come down the road. I contacted the shop I purchased from explained how I felt and they said they agreed and recommended I get an Exoterra as they had better luck with them. They told me I could bring back the Zoomed for a refund.

The problem is, the Exoterras in that size are very difficult to find and the shop told me that Exoterra has been having difficulties getting items shipped.

I am in a predicament on whether I should continue on or go back to Exoterra. Anyone have any thoughts or anything encouraging to say about Zoomed? Should I stick it out and hope for the best? I feel like an enclosure this size may be problematic regardless of the maker. Anyone have any experience with this size enclosure in general?

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
Can't help you out on the size questions, but I know these two things.

One, the quality of ZooMed in general is poor compared to ExoTerra. I just bought three smaller ZMs (same reason you did), and they are the most poorly built of any viv or aquarium (I estimate I've bought 50 or so, from at least 7 manufacturers) I've owned in 30 years, though I've had some that were close. I suspect labor issues are making a lot of difference in this lately; mine looked thrown together by a new employee in a hurry.

That said, here's number two: vivs take a beating in shipping (even freight to a shop) -- that's just how it is, since no one packs them like InSitu does. I suspect what you're seeing is freight damage, and so you won't have any other similar issues unless you ship the thing. ExoTerras arrive to the shop broken, too.

What you mention about ZMs customer service would figure into my decision in such a case, that's for sure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
FWIW I have what I believe is one of the first generation 36" x 18 x 36" Exo-terras. Before the substrate dam/front part was raised to enable that size to be used as a paludarium. I've used it for my chameleon for five years now and moved it twice and drilled a hole into the back of it for drainage, and I've had no problems with it other than the top it comes with rusted under the humidity and I needed to replace it (I sealed the new one before installation). All the doors are still attached. No cracks.

I haven't purchased a ZooMed vivarium, but if you're planning to spend $1500 on a build and the vivarium is falling apart before you've even built it, I would just get a refund and go with the exo-terra even if you have to wait a while to get one. What if you have to move it at some point? A set up vivarium that size will probably weigh over 100lbs even once you pull the water out of it. If the glass frame is cracked and the doors fall off easily the whole thing may just fall apart during a move or if you try to manipulate it to install a drain.

I'm no exo-terra shill either, I don't particularly like their design and recently bought a table saw so I could experiment with making my own vivarium designs from scratch. But I'd strongly recommend against spending that kind of money on something where the glass vivarium itself is sketchy. At the very least replace the lemon viv with a new zoomed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts