Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I picked up a froglet and a Zoomed 12x12x18 tank from Markw. Here is my build for the zoomed. I plan to put the froglet in, once it's established.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today I started setting up the viv. Last night I picked up some cheapo Walmart kitty litter and it failed. See my thread on kitty litter: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/78642-kitty-litter-clay-question.html After picking up the good stuff, I let it soak for a few hours and was ready to go.

I plan to incorporate a small drip/waterfall on right side, so I built an access tube with eggcrate as part of the framework. I have an older pump, but in testing it out, it was really loud, so I'll probably upgrade soon, but for now it will work. That's one reason for building it this way, easy access to the pump for maintenance.

Ok, so I built the pump access and laid down the false bottom. Since it's going to have a slow waterfall, I made a depression area at the front right for the water to go into. Right now, it's looking like a small pond, but I intend to fill most of it up with rocks, sort of like a pondless waterfall.

Here are some pics. I used my cell phone, so they're not the greatest.

First off, the basic framework.

A first coating of clay.

Driftwood added.

Topdown view. Notice the pump area at the top right and the waterless pond area at the bottom right.
[/URL]

Left side detail.

Right side detail.

Full view. Yeah, yeah, that flowered table is only temporary!

The light is a cheap one that came with the aquarium. I won't be using it much longer.
I'll give it a few days to settle, then start on the plantings.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That looks really nice. Will look even better with it all planted and grown in!

Mark

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't resist setting up the bottom and adding in plants. Here are some updated shots with my regular camera. There isn't much on the right side, because that will be where the drip wall is, and I'm going to plant it with moss, and other small plants to help hold the clay intact. After looking at the pics, I'll be moving that tilandsia somewhere else.

In no particular order...

·
Registered
312 Posts
What frogs are going into it? Plan on putting in any broms?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
currently, I'll be putting in an auratus froglet. I may end up moving that one to a different viv, and put some imis in this one. I'll probably put a brom in if I do the imis. First, I need to see how the clay holds up to the drip wall on the right side. It might cause some problems with things holding in the clay.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
great texture on the clay background. Ususally Im not a fan at all, but that looks really nice

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I spent a long time working with it to get the look I wanted. At first I was thinking of going with a more smooth look, but decided I wanted it more jagged.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nice planting.
You should be careful of the drip wall. With clay background and constant dripping/wetness, the wall will melt over time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes that is one of my biggest hesitations with using clay. I've tried to position the wood so that water will fall mostly on it. The drip wall isn't a necessity, so if it doesn't work out and the clay starts to wash away, I'll just remove the pump and go on from there. Either way, I think it came out nice. I need to get more small plants such as baby tears in here. I've not had much luck with finding them locally though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This setup is doing well. I've seen some good plant growth and will get updated shots soon. I tried using a waterpump, but the one I had was too loud, and it looked like continued use of one will erode the clay background on the right side too much, so for now, it's pumpless.

Currently, there is one inhabitant, a Cuban Tree Frog that was found in some veggies from Florida (courtesy of Dartsanddragons). The little guy is doing well, but we hardly see him. Being that he's nocturnal, and there are plenty of hiding places in here, I typically will only see him first thing in the morning. He likes to sit on the wood piece at the bottom right. My wife is convinced he doesn't like her. She's only seen him twice, once when I first brought him home, and once for just a glimpse before he jumped into the back to hide.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great tank! how did you get the texture of the clay so perfect?
I took my time in mixing in the sphagnum and coco fiber until, it had a good and thick consistency. From there, I worked in batches and would push a bunch into the tank, then use my fingers to sort of pull parts of it back up. Kinda hard to explain, but it wasn't difficult. I was going for a rough texture with many dimples and spikes.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally was able to get some shots of the sole inhabitant, a Cuban Tree Frog that was found in a box of celery from Florida. He's nocturnal so when he was out and about scarfing up some fruit flies I put in this evening, I jumped at the chance to get some pics, unfortunately, the glass was pretty dirty and wet.

Introducing Castro - El Polizón.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Looks great! I just got that same viv and it came with a completely screen top. Do you leave yours open or do you cover it somehow to keep humidity up? Also can you tell me what that plant is with the pinkish specks? Sorry I'm new here. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts