Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12x12x18 zoo med and it will be housing a pair of Varaderos soon. I wanna get everything correct b4 putting my varaderos in. The tank still has a screen on top and soon it will be slightly covered with glass.

Im currently having some heat problems due to the Zoo med light hood, i think. The light bulb i have is a 23 watt 6500k fluorescent bulb from NEHERP. I thought it was the bulb that was giving off too much heat. The temperature at highest point in my viv read 85. Therefore, i went to petsmart and bought a Exo Terra 2.0 Repti Glow 26 Watt bulb. After putting it the Exo Terra Bulb in, i noticed the thermometer was reading about the same. So i decided to return the exo terra bulb and use the other one which is cheaper.

So i started to experiment furthermore. I raised the hood three inches off the tank and the temp lowered to about 82. Is this fine for varaderos?
The vivarium floor reads about 75 degrees.:D

If the temperature doesn't settle down, what are my other options?
Is it possible once i put the glass on top of the zoomed screen will it reflect some of the heat?

Thx for looking:D

All input will be taken into consideration.

Registered
With the glass section that's usually installed on top of the vivarium, heat shouldn't be an issue. The very top of the background near the light might just about make 82F (which is a bit high), but the rest of the tank should be low 70s. Also raising the back of the fixture up about 1/2"-3/4" will make it still look nice from the front, while allowing the heat to escape between the glass top & fixture.

Thanks for your business, btw! :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So today im going to get a piece of glass from my local glass store. Lets see how this goes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i got the piece of glass and its sitting on top of the screen lid The glass isnt covering the whole screen, there is a two inch gap for ventiliation. Before having the light on, the temp read 75 at the highest point in the viv. Now i have the glass sitting on the screen lid and the hood 3 inches of the tank. The temp is steadily rising and currently reading 78.8 degrees.

Registered
I like to use the coralife mini aqualights for these.

Aqualight Mini T-5 [2 x 6W]
what size tanks do you think this unit would be the best for? The fixtures for the Exos don't necessarily "fit" well..and I've made a couple of 20G conversions so they definately do not fit on those. The lighting would be effective for how deep toward the bottom of the tank? I know shade created by taller plants would prevent light from the bottom, but other than that--what do you think? The design of the unit is elegant...what about heat being cast off??

Registered
what size tanks do you think this unit would be the best for? The fixtures for the Exos don't necessarily "fit" well..and I've made a couple of 20G conversions so they definately do not fit on those. The lighting would be effective for how deep toward the bottom of the tank? I know shade created by taller plants would prevent light from the bottom, but other than that--what do you think? The design of the unit is elegant...what about heat being cast off??
I'm curious about this as well. I am just about done with my 18" cubed background and will be planting soon. Which means I need some lights..

This aqualight mini looks pretty snazzy, but I am wondering if it's too small at 11.5 long. Thoughts on the size of enclosure this would be adequate for?

Well looking into this today, I came across this website: http://www.fishtanksdirect.com

I'm sure the reefing crew has seen all this, but there are some cool fixtures out there.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/18-24inchadjustablemarinelandleddoublebrightlightingsystem.aspx

Thoughts on this and LED lighting in general? I'm always interested in saving energy!

Registered
Right now (you might remember from last week when you stopped in :) ) we've got a 12x12x18 vivarium on the back wall of the shop. It's using the same hood & bulb you are. We've tilted the hood up a bit towards the back to allow heat to escape and the center of the vivarium holds @ 75-78F during the day with the very top of the background occasionally hitting up to 81F.

Having to keep the hood 4" off the top seems a bit extreme to achieve the correct temp, honestly... What's the room temperature? Is the top 100% sealed, or does it leave a little ventilation for heat to escape?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now (you might remember from last week when you stopped in :) ) we've got a 12x12x18 vivarium on the back wall of the shop. It's using the same hood & bulb you are. We've tilted the hood up a bit towards the back to allow heat to escape and the center of the vivarium holds @ 75-78F during the day with the very top of the background occasionally hitting up to 81F.

Having to keep the hood 4" off the top seems a bit extreme to achieve the correct temp, honestly... What's the room temperature? Is the top 100% sealed, or does it leave a little ventilation for heat to escape?
I do remember the exo terra tank that you showed me with the hood tilted. The 23w 6500k isnt causing the problem i hope. The tank is situated in my room with another 60 gallon. The temperature in my 60 gallon doesn't go above 80 degrees.My 60 gallon tank has a 36 inch fish hood from petco and a 2.0 reptil glo linear bulb. It sits about two inches off the tank.

Where i first had my 12x12x18 zoo med, it was put in a place next to the 60 gallon which seem to cramped. The temp would be around 85 degrees. So i moved it to my desk where is receives more air. I do have a glass lid that is covering most of the zoo med screen. The top isnt 100% sealed. There is a two inch gap, so there is ventilation. The temperature in my room is about 77 degrees during the day and with a drop to 68 degrees(AC running). I double checking my temperature today and ill let you know if the temp exceeds 80 degrees. The temperature on the very top background is 75 degrees.

Registered
I've got a 12x12x18 ZooMed with Varaderos. I'm using the ZooMed Hood at well. I have a peice of glass cut to cover the screen but I push it back enough to leave a 1cm gap for circulation. My temps with a CFL were about 82-84 at the top and 76-80 at the bottom. I switched over to a screw in type LED bulb, this reduced my temperatures by about 2-4 degrees across the board. I got the LEDs from another sponsor of the boards, light your reptiles. These LEDs are pricy, but for me, living in a very warm climate with a poor home cooling solution (swamp cooler) they are a saving grace. These bulbs can be on for 12 hrs and are still only warm to the touch. So far having the vivs set up for about 3months, the plant growth has been excellent.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a 12x12x18 ZooMed with Varaderos. I'm using the ZooMed Hood at well. I have a peice of glass cut to cover the screen but I push it back enough to leave a 1cm gap for circulation. My temps with a CFL were about 82-84 at the top and 76-80 at the bottom. I switched over to a screw in type LED bulb, this reduced my temperatures by about 2-4 degrees across the board. I got the LEDs from another sponsor of the boards, light your reptiles. These LEDs are pricy, but for me, living in a very warm climate with a poor home cooling solution (swamp cooler) they are a saving grace. These bulbs can be on for 12 hrs and are still only warm to the touch. So far having the vivs set up for about 3months, the plant growth has been excellent.
wow great.. if you can send me the link if you can find it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Doug. Ill be looking into it.

Registered
I'm curious about this as well. I am just about done with my 18" cubed background and will be planting soon. Which means I need some lights..

This aqualight mini looks pretty snazzy, but I am wondering if it's too small at 11.5 long. Thoughts on the size of enclosure this would be adequate for?

Well looking into this today, I came across this website: http://www.fishtanksdirect.com

I'm sure the reefing crew has seen all this, but there are some cool fixtures out there.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/18-24inchadjustablemarinelandleddoublebrightlightingsystem.aspx

Thoughts on this and LED lighting in general? I'm always interested in saving energy!
The site you referred to did not appear..but for some unknown reason has appeared now that I wanted to add this post...go figure. So its: fishtanksdirect. and the less heat is a real plus...thanks

Registered
Thanks Doug. Ill be looking into it.
Hey ConFuCiuz.

The LED's are great and much brighter than compacts I currently use them in my zoo-med and exo hoods they are pricey though. What I did before to lower temps was use a lower watt compact, they sell 65k 13 watt Daylight compacts at lowes for about $8 for 4, they are a little warmer than the LED's but alot cooler than the 24 watt compacts. If you can afford the LED's though get them they are bright.

Also if you get the LED's you can remove the reflector in the hood which will open the vents right to the leds helping to assist in keeping the metal fins even cooler as they do produce some heat.

Matt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey ConFuCiuz.

The LED's are great and much brighter than compacts I currently use them in my zoo-med and exo hoods they are pricey though. What I did before to lower temps was use a lower watt compact, they sell 65k 13 watt Daylight compacts at lowes for about $8 for 4, they are a little warmer than the LED's but alot cooler than the 24 watt compacts. If you can afford the LED's though get them they are bright.

Also if you get the LED's you can remove the reflector in the hood which will open the vents right to the leds helping to assist in keeping the metal fins even cooler as they do produce some heat.

Matt
Too bad the closest lowes is about 40 minutes away from me. My area is ruled by homedepot.I will be looking for it at home depot to see if i find any.

Registered
ZookeeperDoug

how well has the plant growth been? and what are you keeping plant wise that is growing under the LED bulbs?
Plant growth has been excellent. Previously green N. fireballs have turned red, Neo echo held it's color, N. june night large offset now putting out a pup. Sun tan begonia is leafing out well, creeping ficus is creeping! All the mosses in the tank are doing good. The pillow moss on the bottom is maintaining color and growing slowly, the tropical moss is spreading rapidly.

In my larger vivs, everything is growing fast too. Ficus, "Satin" pothos, moss, anubias, crypts, selaginella. In one tank under 1 of the 14 batt bulbs, about 5 inches below it, an unknown neo, probably Zoe or Fireball is turning maroon. The leds can't take all the cred in my bigger vivs as I have a CFL on each of those as well but MOST of the light is from the LEDs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts