Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this or is using this canister filter? I'm planning on using this to take out water from a pool and then to power a waterfall/stream, would this work?
Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes that would work perfect I believe. I have one and am currently using it to go into my hydroton/water (bottom layer) and back up into a waterfall. Im still trying to figure out how to keep it running for more than 3hrs straight as it will eventually stop and I will have to siphon it to get it going again. I think I need another inch of water and hydroton which sucks cause im going to have to tear apart my build :(

Just make sure you give yourself access to the part going into the pool or at least anchor it properly. If anyone has any tips on why my unit might be chugging air after a few hours let me know.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've found that canister filters really need to placed below the tank, as the gravity induced syphon plays an important part of the filter's operation. Trying to operate one on the same level as the tank is a recipe for headaches and frustration.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can use a cheaper and slightly smaller version as well. Dr. Fosters and Smith has a small canister filter that works pretty good and less expensive than the 501. They made a larger version I think called the 502 or 503 and its pretty awesome looking, but I haven't gotten my hands on one just yet.

Always keep the filter BELOW the water-line. Always. Always. If you can't do this then don't use a canister.

I've used both the 501 and the cheaper version I can't recall the name of many times before. I drilled and bulkheaded the tanks and that kept the headaches to a minimum. Without drilling the tank it became problematic often.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be able to keep it under the water line. Does the pump use rigid piping or the piping that people use to siphon water out of a tank?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll be able to keep it under the water line. Does the pump use rigid piping or the piping that people use to siphon water out of a tank?
Its just the cheapo clear plastic tubing. And they are SHORT. I had to use an extra tube I had laying around just to reach the bottom of my tank for the intake. Will give that a shot putting it below my waterline (which is still too low I think). If I can get it to work without having to rebuild my setup that would be nice. It ran all night so far with it placed above the tank like that post said but it definitely seems to make more sense to have it below like my rena xp2 canister for my aquarium. I will run it today below and repost.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm gonna drill the tank and I was wondering... How big should I drill the hole?
Um measure the hose...
Drill it and silicone it
Like they said before keep the canister below the water level...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Um measure the hose...
Drill it and silicone it
Like they said before keep the canister below the water level...
Oddly enough I've found it works best towards the top of your enclosure. When its below the water line mine will stop pumping after a few hours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
Oddly enough I've found it works best towards the top of your enclosure. When its below the water line mine will stop pumping after a few hours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Try adding more water. I've had quite a few aquariums, and even though I filter might say "Works with only 2" of water!" usually ruins the filter, so you get what i'm saying.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Definately use a bulkhead rather than trying to silicone pipe in place. You could use uniseals as well but they do tend to fail after a while as well.

The hole size needed for a bulkhead depends on the type, size and brand of the fitting. Sched 80 fittings (overkill) will use a far larger hole than lesser rated bulkheads. Prolly the cheapest way to go would be install 1/2" bulkhead(s) and reduce that with fittings to the size of the tubing that your filter uses. There are smaller speciality bulkheads available but they do tend to get $$$ quickly because they are low volume, speciality use pcs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts