Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell in love with this plant and picked it up at Lowe's. Did some research and it seems like it would do well in a terrarium - high light, lots of water and humidity, slow growing, stiff broad leaves. I can't find any info on people using it in their tanks. One (PlantFiles: Detailed information on Zebra Plant Aphelandra squarrosa) of about 10 websites I check out said that "Handling plant may cause skin irritation or allergic reaction." If anyone knows anything about this plant I'd appreciate some info. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
With any ambiguity, I would not even bother. Try contacting some of our sponsors. They have terrarium specific plants that you'll love and there will be no guessing.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Trust me, if you look up almost any plant on like a nursery site or non-vivarium specific sites they'll say somethings about irritation. I've seen peoplre on youtube use these in larger vivs, none in smaller vivs. Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've tried that plant and will say that it grows straight upto the light. When I pinched it back trying to ecourage back budding and denser growth, all the leaves fell off and I was left with a stalk and no leaves. I've left it in my viv and it is beginning to come back after a couple of months of nothing, with just a couple leaves up at the top where I pinched it back.

I really like the coloration and the strength of the leaves so I may eventually try one again, but that depends on the size of the viv. Mine right now has about now has 12" from the floor level of the tank. If I were to get another one I would make sure that I had more than that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys :) I saw many posts on other websites about it as a houseplant and no one ever posted anything about any irritation it caused. It is already planted in my 18 tall tank (haven't added the frogs yet) so I'll give it a shot. I may pull it out if it starts to look bad or get to tall. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts