Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been trying to hold my excitement, but i cant any longer.

i got a few zaparo tads from another member and today not one but 2 decided it was time to head out into the big world.

i heard they morphed small, but the tads seemed relatively large. however i discovered that the size of the tad was perhaps misleading, as these froglets are quite small. being brown at the moment and so tiny, they are pretty difficult to spot. i didnt even notice (for some time)the second froglet had emerged even though it was sitting directly in front of its tadpole cup.

i'll post pics tomorrow and try to remember to document them coloring up. im interested to see how these turn out as ive seen quite a bit of variation with some individuals being vibrantly colored, and others quite dull. i fed cyclopeeze to try and give sufficient carotenoids for a good red coloration, but im really interested to see how blue they become in some areas.

james

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Congrats James! It's been a good number of years since I worked with zapps. Mine used to morph too small to show much interest in melonos.
Strangest thing, about every 3 or 4 clutches, they would throw a freak egg that would hatch into a two headed tadpole! Once the even did a three headed tad! They never lived beyond about two weeks though. Can you imagine a three headed Zaparo?

·
Registered
507 Posts
excellant work James!

Allobates and other Ameerega frogs like altas can morph out super fast and are prone to drowning. It's good to keep tabs on them once they pop front arms.

They will develop the ruby red on their heads soon, the color is most intense as they grow, most of the adults will dull a bit with age.

I only feed my growouts flies, the wingless strain is great for juvies and thumbs, and the older cultures are even smaller.

Keep up the good work
ERic

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 ootw now. i lost the 4th to drowning, but i really cant see how. it had easy access to climb out, but i found it lifeless in the bottom of its cup. :(

the 5th should emerge from the water in the next few days

james

1 - 7 of 7 Posts