Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family went on a weeklong camping trip to the everglades last week. We got back late thursday night and late, eventually saturday evening rolled around and as i was stepping out oof my car i noticed a small frog on the footstep of my car. I looked it up online, since ive never seen a frog like this around here before and realized that its an american green tree frog. Now this is what really confused me, it said they only live south of the carolinas? i live in cleveland ohio. Is it possible that this frog could have clinged to a part of the car while i was inflorida and once it got up north, it was too cold for the frog so it just sorta chilled in that same place? and since i couldnt release it back into the wild here, i took it inside and created a small enclosure for it. I tried feeding him sevel fruit flies, but the next morning they were still there. Hes a pretty smll car, only about 2 inches. What else should i try?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would say that is EXACTLY what happened. Pretty extraordinary story but that is the only explanation. They are all over South Florida. You've got a special frog there. I've kept many of those in captivity and they are pretty much bomb-proof.

The only other explanation was that it was someones pet released, but much more likely it hitchhiked it's way on [or in] your car.

Keep him/her as a souvenir of S. Florida.

GREEN TREE FROG CARE SHEET

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Greens are notorious hitchhikers. We used to go to south Florida to collect broms and tills on a my uncles property. We would check every plant, but within an hour of heading home the rear glass on the car would be covered in frogs. Of course we would find a suitable place and let them all out. They are also spread throughout the country in tropical plant shipments. It should have no problem taking crickets, they also love moths.They actually make great captives, good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha alright thanks everyone for the replies and thanks for the caresheet link! i guess i have a reason to set up a new viv now :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts