Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a shipment of orchids from a friend in Washington. I received some Pleurothallis restrepioides "Stone Dragon", Restrepia hemsleyana (also considered a variety of antinnefera), and two unnamed species (one probably a SMALL Restrepia, the other a mid-sized Pleuro.

So, my question to everyone: for those of you with success raising Pleuros, Dracs, and Restrepia's in dart tanks, did you have to use computer fans? I have a Barkeria that is not thriving in the same tank, but a Psygmorchis pusilla that is thriving without air movement. Of course, I also have a Ludisia and Macodes in there, but they need no air movement whatsoever.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I haven't tried these orchids yet, but plan to. I am getting some Pleuros very soon and will be adding them to tanks without computer fans. So I hope they will grow well... but if anyone has any tips or ideas I too would love to hear them.

Also, is your Macodes doing well? If so, are you keeping the same as your Ludisa or differently? I want to get some Macodes, but I am unsure how well they will do in a wet medium.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Macodes petola is doing very well now. It is my uderstanding and experience that they like a little more drainage than Ludisia but still require constant even moisture to the roots. I used the same coco husk chips/activated charcoal mix as I used for my Ludisia, but added more activated charcoal to act as a coarse aeration particle that does not get soggy or break down into something that might compact.

When I first introduced the Macodes into the terrarium, two of the leaves drooped significantly (something I believe was caused by a slug I later found and destroyed). Now, about 2 months later, it is looking very healthy, the drooped leaves have recently decided to perk up, and a second flush of new leaves is coming on . . . this time with quite large leaves! I'll try to post some pics later. I guess I'll have to set up a webshots account to be able to post pics here.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Cool, glad to hear that it is doing well. My substrate isn't as loose as yours, so I would have to create a special spot for a Macodes. My Ludisa are doing great in my substrate, but I have been thinking of adding coco husk chips to the substrate for awhile. I think I will order some and try it in a tank or two, I think it will be better for the plants.

I already have a frognet gallery, so thats where I will link all my images from. You might want to try that instead, as it is free (I think webshots is as well) and frog/terrarium related.

Also, have you (or anyone) worked with these Jewel Orchids:
Dossinia marmorata 
Goodyera pubescens x Dossinia marmorata
Goodyera schlectendaliana
If so, did you try them in dart frog vivariums or just grew them outside of a frog tank? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts