Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has agreed that I should convert my mostly unused office into a herp room. This is AWESOME because it means I will have more space for more animals, although I do not believe that to be his intention :D

Its a small room (maybe 10x10) with one east facing window and linoleum floors and baseboard steam heat.

would you buy racks? Build shelving? what else would you do?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Your husband needs to talk with my girlfriend. :p

Baseboard heat is excellent for a breeding room, and so are linoleum floors! Off to a good start for sure. We used shelving from Target for both of our breeding rooms, and they've held up well considering how inexpensive they are.

My number 1 suggestion... Decide on what style tanks you'll be using early! Choose a style and stick with it. It makes the room look that much more organized after a few years of growth.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Beth, your man is in construction, correct ? I'd bat me some eyelashes while begging for a plumbed sink. If he says it's ridiculous to put a sink in the office, explain that surely a man of his construction experience can come up with something that will allow the office to be returned to it's normal use with relative ease in the future, should your space needs change.

I spend more time at the sink in the kitchen than I do by the frog rack.

The person with the biggest sink in their frog room is the envy of the board !

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Beth, your man is in construction, correct ? I'd bat me some eyelashes while begging for a plumbed sink.

Oh, gosh that is a GREAT idea. The office is right next to the laundry room and the laundry room has no utility sink which drives me freaking batty. I will suggest it and he will like the idea, I think, especially if I present it as "look a utility sink" instead of "look a FROG sink"

p.s. eyelash batting does nothing but I have other TOOLS in my TOOLBOX!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your husband needs to talk with my girlfriend. :p

Baseboard heat is excellent for a breeding room, and so are linoleum floors! Off to a good start for sure. We used shelving from Target for both of our breeding rooms, and they've held up well considering how inexpensive they are.

My number 1 suggestion... Decide on what style tanks you'll be using early! Choose a style and stick with it. It makes the room look that much more organized after a few years of growth.
My husband does not realize that I intend to turn the whole room into an amphibian/reptile room. He is just thinking that it would be nice not to have three tanks of geckos around the house like they are now.

We currently have ONLY exo-terras but I am the queen of craigslist and keep eyeing other tanks......I will consider this before I buy anything.

I was thinknig about constructing a bunch of shelves based on the heights of exo-terras. The room has baseboard heaters on two sides and a door on the fourth, and has a ledge at about three feet (its a raised ranch and the foundation walls jut in a bit) I was thinking i would put the first shelf on the ledge, and go up from there to maximize space.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of geckos?
rhacs only - right now just gargs with some mourning geckos on the way.
Other future lizards may include: pink skinks or crested geckos - both like it cooler and wetter. Since I live in anchorage, I do not feel comfortable with desert animals that won't last five minutes without heat in the house.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The crazy dope dealer's snake sitters just emailed me to let me know that they have two more Exo-terra small/talls and STANDS available (I like the stands for the space we currently have) for 150$. I think all are new.

I've got a call into my husband to see if its ok if I pick them up.

Oooh, I'm sooo excited.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts