Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a Ecuador/Peru-specific biotype, which in a lot of ways is a ton of fun and forces me to learn about different species of plants (since I can't just go, "ooh, that one looks nice!"), but on the other hand can be frustrating at times to find a plant that fills certain roles.

One of those has been ground-cover and general surface coverage, since most mosses on the market are not native to the region. I love (like a lot of people) ficus pumila varieties, but those, like java moss, aren't even from the right continent.

So, what are your favorite South American alternatives?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Baby's tears are popular. There are varieties from all over the world. I believe "Pilea depressa" are native to south american and the Caribbean.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Look around for various Peperomia spp. A good number of the species available originate from Ecuador and Peru, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time finding something that fits your biotope criteria. Peperomia emarginella is a nice, easy-growing species that can form dense mats over time, looking not unlike a sheet of moss from a distance, and the most commonly available form happens to be of Ecuadorian origin.

Selaginella would be another genus to explore, as even though a good number of species within the genus tend to have a more upright growth habit, there are also many that grow more compact and close to the ground.

Though, perhaps more suited for backgrounds, but could just as easily be used as a ground cover, Marcgravia spp. would be another to look into.

Also consider, even if a plant that interests you isn't from your designated biotope you might still be able to use it if it closely resembles something that is. Mosses and liverworts, for example, might exist from other regions that superficially resemble species from your designated region of interest and so should not immediately be excluded from a list of potential candidates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts