Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few more really newbie questions. I plan to use the gravel for drainage and will form out a small pond out of that. In this type of drainage setup in a 10g tank, are you supposed to change the water? If so how often? Am I missing any inportant details about this? I plan to get the tank up and running a while before i introduce any frogs. What type of plants can you guys recommend for a tank this size? Thanks very much.

G

·
Several of my tanks have gravel bottoms with shallow pond areas in them. Some have running water which is easier to keep "fresh". Tanks with still water should be changed more frequently as you do not want stagnant areas with an anerobic process beginning. You could siphon out the water every couple of weeks or as it begins to smell, good smell = earthy. Since this will be a wet tank and maybe your first I would recommend plants which tolerate their roots being wet: (Pothos almost impossible to kill, creeping fig will need pruning but likes damp and well lighted tanks, java moss would make a good ground cover over wet gravel just keep it damp and well lit it will spread. If you need more plant choices just inquire in the plant area and the resident experts will give you more selections than you could possibly use. Good Luck

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. What are some of your thoughts as to using a false bottom vs. a gravel layer for drainage? Pros/cons? Also, let me see if I have this correct: false bottom/gravel or LECA, then divider, then soil/beda beast mix, then bottom cover/plants. Thanks again everyone.

G

·
Hi,
I have used gravel, eggcrate, and leca. Whatever you choose I'd first go with one of them then a substrate divider then the substarte, coco bedding or whatever.
I am now tearing down some of my first vivs that I made that were all gravel and have had no problems with them at all. The thing I don't like is the weight.One of them had housed my Costa Ricans since June of 2002 and they are doing great.The only reason I am doing it now is I'm making more room for some of my favorite frogs, Vittatus, and am getting them out of their small 10 and into a 20 high so I can enjoy their behavior more.
Mark

G

·
My first setup ever was a false bottom. From bottom to top raised eggcrate, vinyl screen, pea-sized aquarium gravel, mix of activated carbon and peat-coco fiber soil mix, cover of spaghnum moss, java and pillow moss to top. Reasons for using LECA would be light weight, chemically inert, good flow, good surface area for benefical nitrifying bacteria. Reasons perhaps against it: cost, availability. I have since utilized several types of substrates including soil, gravel and just reptibark. Don't get too caught up in the details. False bottoms are good for moving water, but you can move water in a gravel bottom tank as well. Just be sure you have easy access to the pump in case in needs maintenance or replacement.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Extremely helpful! Anyone have any particular pics or galleries of construction to point me to? Thanks again, very much!

G

·
look at the top of this page and hit the gallery. To start i would look at everything you can get your hands on. It seems everyone does things a different way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts