Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my uncle adds yeast to his cultures after he puts the water in the media and i was wondering how much and if u mix it into the media?

A fast response would be great.

Thanks,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time i screwed up my culture by putting to much in but luckly i had more flies.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
d

what happens when you put too much in? Mine crash sometimes, but I never know what does it other than mold sometimes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
YEAST

I think I may have discussed the matter in another area, but we have found that if we are dealing with Bakers yeast(external), only a few grains are needed to activate the culture. To much and the cultures become susceptible to molding. Bakers yeast is a living organism, and it is hydrophillic (water loving). To much and it grows into a white mold. We do not use any in our Melanogaster cultures.

Brewers yeast (internal) is non living yeast that is used in the actual ingredients of the medium. It is used in cooked as well as instant mediums. Hope this info helps. I know sometimes it can get a bit confusing. But if you remeber internal and external, you will realize the difference.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
v

that is cool! I keep getting white mold in mine closely followed by nasty black and green mold!!!

So a LOT less bakers yeast in my megalnogaster cultures!!! I've been putting in a GOOD pinch when I mix it, then sprinkle another good pinch on top of it. explains a lot tho. I dont use any brewers yeast in mine.

If you can find that thread where it was talked about I'd be appreciative!!!

thanks again!

·
Registered
297 Posts
YEAST

Matt, Brewers yeast is only added if you are making the medium from scratch. Otherwise their is no need. Bakers on the other hand should be used as follows: take 1/8tsp of powdered sugar and dissolve it into a cup of warm water. Add 1/8 tsp of Bakers yeast and allow the ingredients to dissolve. Using a medicine dropper , squirt some of this mixture on the surface of the cultures that you have just set up. The amount of liquid is not critical, but this activates the yeast, and hopefully will make a big difference not only in mold curtailment but production as well. Thats how we do it here. Hope this helps .
JERRY

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
s

i do make mine from scratch.

a pile of potato flakes, enough water/vinegar (50/50) to make it look appetizing, then a little sugar (how much sugar do you use?), and a sprinkling of paprika. I had been adding about a spoonful of bakers yeast to that and then sprinkling 50 to 75 grains or so on top of it. That part seems to be the reason I sometimes get white growths under the media quickly followed by green and black mold on top. For some reason I never thought that you could really put too much, ya know? (within reason of course!)

SOOOO, just a little (how much for about 4 or 6 cultures?) bakers yeast in the above conglomeration of ingredients and some yeasty sugar water on top? I think I may try that tomorrow. :roll:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Re: YEAST

JERRY said:
Matt, Brewers yeast is only added if you are making the medium from scratch. Otherwise their is no need. Bakers on the other hand should be used as follows: take 1/8tsp of powdered sugar and dissolve it into a cup of warm water. Add 1/8 tsp of Bakers yeast and allow the ingredients to dissolve. Using a medicine dropper , squirt some of this mixture on the surface of the cultures that you have just set up. The amount of liquid is not critical, but this activates the yeast, and hopefully will make a big difference not only in mold curtailment but production as well. Thats how we do it here. Hope this helps .
JERRY
So Jerry, is this more effective than just putting a pinch on top of the media when it is cooled? I too have had problems with mold before and I just associated it to adding too much bakers yeast at times. If this will work better then I will give it a try. Thanks

-Shelley

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Is the bakers just sprinkled on the surface or mixed throughout?

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeast

We have been using this method for activating the yeast for the past 15 years. The problem is that by just sprinkling on yeast does not activate the culture. Warm water does. So we prepare a yeast solution. We know for a fact that the yeast is active because we see the yeast bubbles. I dont see how this can be achieved any other way.

That is not to say that other molds may not become present, but at least you will have eliminated the fastest growing one, a white large mass.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Darks!de said:
Is the bakers just sprinkled on the surface or mixed throughout?
Just put on top of the media once already mixed. If you use a home made media then you use brewers yeast mixed in.

-Shelley

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Jerry, thank you. Next week when I make cultures I am going to try the powdered sugar/water dissolving method. I appreciate the tip as I have never heard of this before.

-Shelley

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Cool, so 1/2 c water, 1/8 tsp powdered sugar, and 1/8 tsp bakers yeast? Sounds easy enough to me. I can't believe that no one else has ever mentioned doing this. Is it a well known and widely used method? Thanks again Jerry.

-Shelley

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeast

this method of activating Yeast has been known and done by people in the trade. Their are many misconceptions and creative measures that people seem to go through in order to get those cultures going. I certainly scratch my head sometimes at the ideas that seem to pop up in these forums. I guess whatever works is acceptable for the moment.

Good quality culturing mediums are safeguarded. The difference between the you (the end user) and us (the manufacturer) is that our medium must provide 1 major difference and that is we have to be able to determine that our cultures are viable within 3 to 4 days max. End users do not require that kind of speed, but are looking for quantity growth. We need to know because aside from the criteria just mentioned above, we also sell flies. We cannot wait 3 weeks to find out if the culture is alive or dead! Thats a big difference. Hope this info brings some additonal insight. Any additonal help required, let us know. JERRY

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
How many cultures do you think the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1/8 tsp powdered sugar and 1/8 tsp of bakers yeast solution will activate? Do you use 1 ml droppers?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts