Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank has been set up for around 3 years now. It is a converted 30 gal aquarium with a false-bottom and Turface substrate. There are some old cottonwood roots and gnarles in there, and the back and sides are covered in cork bulletin board panels. The lid consists of a couple panes of glass, siliconed and hinged together. The tank is pretty old and the top frame/brace is bowed, so the lid doesn't sit flush, allowing plenty of fruit flies to escape...therefore it currently doesn't house any frogs.

My care regimen for this tank consists of benign neglect. I rarely mist. The lights are on a 12-hour light cycle. I'll throw random specimens of plants in to see how they do...some die, some go crazy (and only seem to grow in this tank--I'll put cutting in other frogs tanks and they die). I have had all sorts of volunteers pop up, not to mention various things that have spread by spore. If a plant begins to take up too much real estate, I'll rip hand fulls out and let other specimens crowd in and battle it out. It's great to watch the succession that plays out within this tank.

And the office where it resides:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow your tanks are amazing. Awesome

·
Registered
446 Posts
Wow.. amazing looking tank. I only hope my vivs look this good in the future after grow out.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
B-E-A-UTIFUL. That's a nice little gem you've got there in your office. Some of the nicest tanks are the one's we do the least for...figures...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey! I gotta tank like that. I toss things in and out. I think yours is fantastic! Who said you gotta keep living breathing things in there!

·
Registered
725 Posts
wow! normally, i don't like 30 gallon tanks because of the small amount of depth they have, but this tank really proves that wrong!

·
Registered
553 Posts
That thur is a purdy thirty!!..

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Nice, are any of those plants planted right in the Turface, or in sphag pockets, or all mounted? I can't grow too much in it -

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice, are any of those plants planted right in the Turface, or in sphag pockets, or all mounted? I can't grow too much in it
Nope...no sphagnum pockets. I'm a clay substrate purist. ;)

If they plants can't hack it, I just don't use them in tanks like this (and keep them more in Wardian cases). It's pure Turface and cork panels and the tree roots--everything has rooted into/onto that and the layers of moss and liverworts that have shown up. There is even a patch of live sphagnum that showed up from some vestige of dried moss, I assume...but it's been doing well for a couple years now.

I do add dead leaves every now and then to 'feed' the substrate and the microfauna population...the breakdown of all that organic matter no doubt contributes to some nutrient for the plants, but otherwise everything is either growing epiphytically or is straight in the Turface.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Whats the seliganella looking plant that turns deep red/purple? Very cool looking

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.