Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is not the correct forum for this post, but I just didn't know where I should post this. Here is the deal: I want to write a paper within the month for my Environmental Politics and Policy course on the politics and policies on keeping endanged species, specifically poison dart frogs, in the U.S. Even though I will do my own research, I just thought that some of you could direct me to some resources regarding this topic. Perhaps you could direct me to the location of the laws governing endangered species (poison dart frog) importation or legal status in the U.S., or to articles on the use of this hobby to protect the endangered species from extinction (if indeed this is partially what this hobby is used for). Any directions to sources on anything that could possibly relate to the politics and policy of keeping endangered species, especially pdfs, in the U.S. would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time. Have a great evening. And I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

Amanda

·
Registered
707 Posts
pastorjosh said:
Man Blort, you are like the walking resource man! Thanks for giving all the rest of us an excuse to be lazy!
LOL. I just bookmark everything and spend more time on Google than I should :)

JJuchems said:
From what I recall Dart Frogs are not endangered species. They are protected under CITES II Listing, but are not endangered.
While I don't know off the top of my head, I don't think any are listed as CITES category I, but there are plenty of animals in the family dendrobatidae that are endangered. I found at least 49 on the IUCN Red List at are critically endagered or endagered. If you add vunlerable to the list of criteria the list grows to 65:

http://www.redlist.org

Among some that we deal with:
Phyllobates terribilis
Epipedobates tricolor

Best,

Marcos

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
There is an article that will of use to you,

It is Gorzula, Stefan, 1996, The trade in dendrobatid frogs from 1987 to 1993, Herpetological Review 27(3) :116-123

Dendrobatids are listed as CITES II (I think they were added in 1987).

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts