Dendroboard banner

Would anyone be interested in free firebrats?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  connorology 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Nothing official to offer yet (which is why I am not on the classifieds page) but I wanted to gauge interest - would anyone be interested in some free firebrat starter cultures? They've been working great as supplemental feeders for me, and my P. terribilis and Mourning Geckos go absolutely crazy for them.

When I tried to get some of these feeders a few months back it seemed like basically nobody in the US uses them. RoachCrossing.com sells them, and while I had a good experience buying from him and would recommend him as a vendor, other forum members have reported that in the past his availability/shipping dates can be inconsistent. He was literally the only source I could find for these feeders, and I think ideally we would change that.

I now have a firebrat colony that has started to produce well, and I would imagine I will have a sufficient supply to split off some starter cultures around September (hopefully by then my local temperatures will be out of the hundreds and I can think about shipping things). I would like to share in the interest of getting more of these feeders into the hands of PDF keepers - payment would be the cost of shipping and an honor system "pay-it-forward" where you make cultures available to fellow hobbyists when you have them going.

Let me know your thoughts.

See less See more
#10 ·
Alright, so it definitely sounds like there's sufficient interest to be worth doing it. I'll make a basic care guide and post about it again when I am ready to send some starters out. I'd anticipate September, potentially October if California stubbornly sits in the high 90's/low 100's into the fall (I know firebrats like high temperatures, but the inside of any vehicle at these temps is like 160+ which is not compatible with life).

#13 ·
Alright, so it definitely sounds like there's sufficient interest to be worth doing it. I'll make a basic care guide and post about it again when I am ready to send some starters out.
This is a cool idea -- please use the Marketplace for the distribution step, though. Thanks. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.