Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do i clean a living vivarium?
these are my first darts and my first living vivarium so how do i clean the tank? also we have white fuzzy stuff growing on the bromeliads, and our humidity is in the high 70s to low 80's the frogs seem to be loving it - but i cant think of any way to clean the tank without completely opening the tank and taking out the frogs but i read somewhere that that would stress them out to much any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
You really don't need to clean the tank at all. It's basically it's own little ecosystem. The white fuzz your taking about in natural with every new tank. It will go away shortly. Springtails will also help keep the poop and decaying matter down. Eventually over time you will have to re-do the tank, but it should be good for quite sometime. The only thing you might have to do occasionally is trimming your plants up, depending on the plants you use.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yep, what he said!

I take an annoying poop off a leaf if I'm gonna take pictures, but other than that the springs do all the work

·
Registered
596 Posts
How do i clean a living vivarium?
these are my first darts and my first living vivarium so how do i clean the tank? also we have white fuzzy stuff growing on the bromeliads, and our humidity is in the high 70s to low 80's the frogs seem to be loving it - but i cant think of any way to clean the tank without completely opening the tank and taking out the frogs but i read somewhere that that would stress them out to much any suggestions?
windex!:D

(the above post was meant in complete jest).......if you haven't used the search function yet, it's at the top of the page, and you can read through old threads and find great info.......

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
windex!:D

(the above post was meant in complete jest).......if you haven't used the search function yet, it's at the top of the page, and you can read through old threads and find great info.......
I have to say I stared at this response and shook my head until I was dizzy.

Really? Someone very new and not knowing any better might actually try this.
Please don`t.

John

·
Registered
553 Posts

Please don`t.

John
Now, do you Windex the frogs, plants or just the glass?... LOL...

Peter Keane

·
Registered
596 Posts

Please don`t.

John
reading is fundamental......if you read my whole post, it's obvious I'm kidding, unless you don't know what "jest" means......and don't want to look it up.....which, unfortunately, is part of the problem, when people don't want to look stuff up.......

·
Registered
527 Posts
A little air circulation by means of a computer fan (properly frog proofed with a screen cover) goes a long way in keeping plants happy and suppressing mold growth as well ...

Gotta love not having to clean em. Not a stupid question! Good luck dude.

-brett

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice but does anyone know where can i get springtails? i haven't been able to find any in local stores so i haven't been able to breed any. im planing to go to a nursery to see if i can find any or just to my school's greenhouse to see if i can kidnap some mulch and hope it has some

·
Registered
527 Posts
where are you located? find some nearby froggers and see if you can buy a starter culture. if you're in socal, i'll give you one for free =)

-brett

·
Registered
161 Posts
am i the only one that wipes down the sides and front of my viv if it starts to grow mold and junk?
I will wipe down the glass from time to time but only when it is getting really dirty or when I have someone coming over to look at the frogs. I only use a wet paper towel.
Doug

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
am i the only one that wipes down the sides and front of my viv if it starts to grow mold and junk?
Haha you are like me, ocd and clean to the max.

I made myself a little invention to clean my tanks. Ive tried selling the idea to a few companies, no takers yet. If only this hobby was as large as the aquarium hobby, I'd be rollin in the bills haha. I might start making a bunch of them and selling them here....hmmmm

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
reading is fundamental......if you read my whole post, it's obvious I'm kidding, unless you don't know what "jest" means......and don't want to look it up.....which, unfortunately, is part of the problem, when people don't want to look stuff up.......
Lots of people don't like to use the search function here. What makes you think they'd be willing to google a word they don't know?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I squeegee the glass every once in a while when it's fogged-up. Clears some crud off with the water and leaves it looking clean again.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You actually wait for "mold and junk" to grow!!! I wipe mine every day...sometimes more than once (or twice). Drives me crazy not to be able to see in there! :p

(Waiting patiently for Grimm's new invention to come out...)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You actually wait for "mold and junk" to grow!!! I wipe mine every day...sometimes more than once (or twice). Drives me crazy not to be able to see in there! :p

(Waiting patiently for Grimm's new invention to come out...)
I don't have to wipe mine down in order to see inside it though :p I don't get fog or condensation except immediately after the tank has been misted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts