Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give any tips on working with it? I'm planning on using it to make waterfalls in my newest tanks, but the stuff is like warm chewing gum when it comes out, and it sticks to everything. Do people spray it on and wait for it to dry before sculpting by carving it out, or is there a trick to working with it when it comes out of the can?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Spray it out where you want it, making it thicker in parts that will be sculpted. Water can be sprayed onto the foam when it is still wet to make it expand more; it absorbs moisture to expand. After it is dry, usually around a few hours if it isn't too think, you can just take a steak knife and cut away.

Luke

·
Registered
639 Posts
I usually cut the straw into about 4 little pieces before putting it on. This way you can use the can more than just once. That long straw just gets in the way anyway.

When you're done working for the day, leave that little piece of straw on to seal the can. Then when you start working next, take it off and use one of the other pieces of straw.

I think it's a pretty cool little trick, it may help you out, it may not.

Anyways, good luck. :D

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have worked with this stuff for years. I got my tips from a guy that used the stuff to make water falls in comercial buildings.

Spray on the basic shape you want for your feature. wait a few mins and then come back to it. dip your hands in water. Now you can test out a section by lightly pinching it. As the great stuff cures it gets harder to pinch. by pinching, poking and pushing in sections you can make ridges and gullies to simulate rock. its best to keep comming back to it as it hardens you can do different levels of sculpting. with this technique you avoid the spongy look you get when you cut this stuff and get a more natural look with a smoother surface. Next I spray paint the whole thing(use only non toxic paint). I fiirst paint the whole thing black, then use gray, brown, beige, silver and white. use these colors in small amounts spraying in angles so that the black still shows through and best to work from dark to light in colors.

as you spray the lighter colors over the darker colors working in angles allows the dark colors to show in the cracks nooks and valleys of the surfaxce giving you a natural rock like look. at the very end I use a fine artist brush to to highlight different areas with the darker colors and to touch up areas.

Hope this helps

Bob

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I am not sure what brand I last used. You just need to read the label.... there are plenty of non toxic spray paints out that are safe for childrens furniture.

Bob

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Use the blue can. I have used it and it doesn't break the glass, as it cures flexible. Its more cushy, but it's very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts