Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've had these 3-10 gal tanks for three weeks now and have just sat and pondered what I wanted to do. I want to try using great stuff for the first time and thought to try it out on these three tanks as they will sit side by side on the rack and I want the background to seem to flow from one to the next. I bought the Vert kits from Arizona Tropicals 10G Vert Kit and installed the the inside and outside glass pieces.

Then as I was thinking of what my next move should be I thought about adding some mist heads to them some time in the future. That means I should have some holes in the tops ready for them when I get the money to but a misting set up. So after watching Pimilos great video on drilling glass I was off to Lowes for a glass cutting bit, $17.95. I started by taking some masking tape and marking a 1/2" circle on the sticky side with a Sharpie. I then measured where I wanted the hole which was centered and 2" from the front edge and secured the tape on the underside of the glass so that the circle was visible. From there on I followed Pimilos video making a water dam from some modeling clay I had in my hobby room and using a very low flow of water to cool the bit I drilled the three tops with no problems at all in a matter of 10-15 minutes. So easy but getting up the courage to start was difficult, not wanting to damage good tanks. This is soooo easy, don't be afraid of this step, just take your time and go slow and just use the drills weight, no pressure is needed. I'll post some pictures as I move on, needs to cool off a bit as it's feels like 110 F in my garage right now.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You are drilling 1/2" holes for the misters? Those will fit the Premium line of Mist King misting nozzles. The standards take a 5/8" hole.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess I'll just have to use the better heads Doug. Right now I'm just going to plug the holes until I get my mist king system. Thanks for the heads up. All my reading seemed to show the 1/2" as standard.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
For temporary plugging of holes, here is what I have done in the past.
1) clean around hole with rubbing alcohol
2) cut a 5/8" by 5/8" square of duct tape.
3) place the duct tape square UPSIDE DOWN over the hole so that the adhesive is facing up...away from the frogs!!
4) Use a larger piece of duct tape placed over the 5/8" piece. So the two pieces of tape stick to each other, and the larger piece also sticks to the glass.
This is a secure method of temporarily plugging a hole until you install your misting system. It is safe in that there is no danger of frogs getting stuck to the tape, or even being exposed to whatever is in that adhesive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm! I just bought a few plastic 1/2" plugs when I bought the bit, they were right in the specialty drawers at Loews. Just push them in and when you need the hole, pop them out.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well, I guess I'll just have to use the better heads Doug. Right now I'm just going to plug the holes until I get my mist king system. Thanks for the heads up. All my reading seemed to show the 1/2" as standard.
Buy the standard nozzles and add premium bulkheads to the order, then switch them out when they come in :) That's what I ended up doing and ended up saving quite a bit of money since 1/2" bits are loads cheaper than a 5/8" bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Vic, I will keep that in mind. I have been working off and on my tanks, did finish my P. Vittius tank this week. Here's a few pictures, it's a 12x12x18 Zoomed. I cut some cork rounds on an angle and gorilla glued them to the background, then I used my bandsaw to rip some cork flats up into strips to glue to the background as shelves, or ledges, so far the frogs seem to like it as I find them sitting up on them all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a piece of cork round to support my Brom, just drilled a big enough hole into it to let the brom set down into it without touching the ground. I do this for most of my broms and they don't have any rot problems, nor do they fall over, they are well supported and easy to move it I need to do so. Also the frogs seem to like living under these 1/3 cork rounds that I use. I stopped at Maryland Cork a few weeks back and bought 2 big boxes of cork, one tubes and the other flats, very nice people to deal with, a very warm family business. The place is a bear to find and leaving I used my GPS to leave and wound up in a no trespass area of some business that had guards all rushing me when I tried to exit, I'm guessing it was some defense contractor business and they closed the roads in their area when they bought the building, I never saw the sign so they let me go with a warning!!! The one pic is of my Vittatus checking me out.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Don, will be working on four other tanks today, 3-10 gal vertical conversions and another 12x12x18 zoomed. I have some plants readied for them in my plant light rack and the other picture is my temp boxes holding my frogs from their move from Philly to Dover, DE. These tanks will have cork ledges siliconed to the sides, I like using the cork for ledges as it's light and easy to attach and looks very natural once grown in with a bit of moss.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this Red Devil 100% silicone at the Family dollar store today for $3.00 a tube, no mention of any added ingredients like mold inhibitors. Anyone ever use it? The other photos are of my small band saw where I rip the cork into strips and the other area is in my frog room where I do some prep work.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hmm! I just bought a few plastic 1/2" plugs when I bought the bit, they were right in the specialty drawers at Loews. Just push them in and when you need the hole, pop them out.
I s'pose you could do it that way. ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
If it's the same kind, I use those same plugs from Lowes (1.5 inches) to plug my false bottom drains. They work great although you have have to grab a pice of pvc pipe and make sure you get them with a snug fit.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled build out thread. Frog on !

I had a really hard time getting started myself. Your tanks are looking great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Zoomie, had to travel out to Hancock MD today from Dover so no real work done on the tanks. I did start a 18x18x24 last night for my daughter as I figured when I start using the silicone and coco/spag mix I might as well do as many as I can while I have this mess going on. The last shot is my hobby bench where I do my smaller work.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, sorry for the long time lapse, busy getting my Philly house ready for sale. I would like to do one of my tanks using Gorilla glue and was wondering if there's a thread that shows how to use it for a background? I did a search but got so many hits it's crazy. Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
701 Posts
I *attempted* a gorilla glue background, and misted it after it was applied. Then I put my mixture on, and came back after a few hours. Glass everywhere. Maybe if you use the glue, mist/let expand, and put a thin film of it with peat, and going from there.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i just did gorilla glue and peat OVER great stuff and it worked well, and was easy and less stinky than the silicone.

I'm jealous you can drive to maryland cork!! Maybe you should start a side business of selling cork to us (the reptile people pay a premium for that stuff at the pet store). I'd be first in line!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I *attempted* a gorilla glue background, and misted it after it was applied. Then I put my mixture on, and came back after a few hours. Glass everywhere. Maybe if you use the glue, mist/let expand, and put a thin film of it with peat, and going from there.
What happened exactly?
Did the tank break or something?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts