Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hurray! I just did a routine tank check and all over one of my broms are eggs! I Have some questions though. They have probably been in there for a few days, are they fertilized? They have black dots in the center, if this helps at all. I'm going to pull a few and leave the rest. Of the ones i pull, should I put them in a petri dish with water over them? What else should I do for the ones I pull? Thanks for all the help, i'll post pics later tonight. Woohoo!!!!!

Jordan

G

·
0 Posts
Jordan first b4 you pull any eggs out; what kind of frogs you got??

If the eggs are black they are ok if any go gray and double size take it out those are bad eggs. If there is a dot or line on the eggs they are fertilized. If you have egg feeder frogs you may consider leaving the eggs where they are and let your frogs take care of them. If you decided to take some out don't cover them all the way with water. When the water is touching the edge of the eggs that is good enough.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, forgot to say that they are vents. What if I put a damp paper towel in the bottom of the petri dish and then put the eggs in there? I'll post pics in a minute or two.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahahaha!!! Yes, those magnificent vents came from the one and only Scott MacDonald. It looks like a few of the eggs have gone bad, I can't get any pics until i pull the eggs though, the angle and lighting are wrong. Scott, what do you do when you pull eggs? I'm not expecting much from this since it is there first clutch, but do you think there will be one or two good eggs? Thanks!

Jordan

*Edit: It looks like another frog, possible two are also gravid. So if there are no good eggs from this I should be getting another clutch soon.*

G

·
0 Posts
Jordan bud I would not touch those eggs if I were you. Let the ventris take care of them. I know you are worried that something could happen to them but i can tell they will be fine where they are. You could do 2 things, one is to make sure the brom has some water in it or put a small plastic container like the ones that u get in a chinesse restaurant for the sour sweet sause, by the brom with some water soo the ventris could use it to deposit the tads.

:D

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
If you want tadpoles, I'd suggest putting the filmcanister with suction cups and removing the eggs.

Leaving the eggs/tadpoles inside to develop might be more fun/entertaining to watch, but I'm guessing the survival rate of egg to froglet will be much less than if you remove the eggs.

-Tad

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey;
Seeing as this was there first clutch and I figured most would mold over anyway, I pulled the accessible eggs. Out of a clutch of ten (ten that i found), 4 had not gone bad. I put these in a petri dish with dechlorinated water. They go bad fast! Right now i have two left that are not gray, but look to be graying. I've been pulling the bad ones as soon as it is noticable. I think these two are going bab as well. Oh well. How many clutches does it typically take for them to get it right? Also, how long do the eggs gestate in the female before being laid? I want to raise a few clutches, after that i'll let them do the work!

Jordan

G

·
0 Posts
The last few clutches mine have produced none of the eggs have gone bad.
But there seems to be a fair amount of tadpole mortality. Some of them never move much and don't seem to put on any weight. They just linger for a week or two till they die. The only way I know these are alive is by the small spasm/wriggle they do (rarely) though.

My vents started off laying clutches on top of eachother (so there would be 8 to 13 eggs) every week but they've slowed down a bit seems like they've laid once or twice in the last 90 days. I figured it was b/c I haven't been misting the tank as much lately (its still humid enough to grow moss up the sides though).

One of the females looks a little bloated, I hope she's not sick, it should be about time for some more eggs.

-Tad

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Any thoughts as to why the froglets will morph out smaller if you let them grow up naturally? Is it just a question of nutrition or is some other factor involved?

I'm curious because I would have thought that letting nature take its course would result in more robust offspring. Also, if the froglets morph out smaller, does that ultimately impact their survival rate into adulthood?

Bill

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's how the eggs look today. They're fertile! I hope the don't go bad though. How long from this point in vents is it before they hatch out from the egg? Also, what do all of you feed your vent tadpoles? Thanks!

Jordan[/img]

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
elmoisfive said:
Any thoughts as to why the froglets will morph out smaller if you let them grow up naturally? Is it just a question of nutrition or is some other factor involved?

I'm curious because I would have thought that letting nature take its course would result in more robust offspring. Also, if the froglets morph out smaller, does that ultimately impact their survival rate into adulthood?

Bill
I think it is probably mostly nutrition and perhaps temperature and water conditions as well. But I would not equate small size with lack of robustness. From what I, and other people, have seen, you get fewer frogs morphing out using the natural method and the froglets tend to be small, but they are tough little frogs that grow up into normal sized adults. If anything, I think these naturally reared froglets are more robust because they have already gone through a selection process. But to give an example of survival rates, my vittatus on average lay clutches of twelve eggs. With hand rearing, I can expect 10 of twelve to survive to froglet. With letting the parents do the work and allowing the tads to grow without supplemental feeding, 2-4 froglets will survive. I'm pretty sure that survival figure would go up if I redesigned the viv with better tad rearing pools and a number of different pools so not all tads are dumped in the same pool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts