Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO i get home from work this afternoon and head down to the basement to feed the frogs and opened the viv to mist one of my pairs of Intermedius and to my surprise there's three eggs in the film canister!!!!! :D YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!

I just got these guys from Patrick back on Nov 18th ....Im totally shocked! and of course all my wife had to say was..."thats nice dear" :roll:

what a great surprise to come home to!!

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
awesome, I'm amazed that they bred that young. All the more reason for me to get a pair from patrick.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,
Your wife sounds about like mine when something cool happens here and I tell her about it,LOL. Congrats on the intermedias eggs.
Mark W.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Awesome news Matt!!! It took me over a year to get our intermedius breeding and then another 6 or so months to get good eggs.

Keep up the good work!

Melis

outlawvizsla said:
SO i get home from work this afternoon and head down to the basement to feed the frogs and opened the viv to mist one of my pairs of Intermedius and to my surprise there's three eggs in the film canister!!!!! :D YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!

I just got these guys from Patrick back on Nov 18th ....Im totally shocked! and of course all my wife had to say was..."thats nice dear" :roll:

what a great surprise to come home to!!

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys & gals!!! im really looking forward to seeing if they develop

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jared,

Hmm....well i guess i better not tell you i witnessed my retic male calling last night from one of the film canisters and i've only had these guys about a week. :shock:

they may be laying but will have to see if they will develop. Like Melissa said it took her a year to get hers to lay and then another 6 months to get viable eggs. So i think I have a long road to hual before i get viable eggs.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
ahhh - Matt,

Can I have those Retics back??? :wink:

All kidding aside, awesome job.

Maybe I should start asking you to set up all our tanks?

Melis

outlawvizsla said:
Jared,

Hmm....well i guess i better not tell you i witnessed my retic male calling last night from one of the film canisters and i've only had these guys about a week. :shock:

they may be laying but will have to see if they will develop. Like Melissa said it took her a year to get hers to lay and then another 6 months to get viable eggs. So i think I have a long road to hual before i get viable eggs.

Matt

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm....well i guess i better not tell you i witnessed my retic male
:evil: How old are these frogs? I thought you had to wait until they were a year or so before they called? Definitely jealous.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My intermedius have been calling away for at least a month now. I might have two males, but not too positive. So I was wondering where your guys laid? I have three film canisters in their tank all at different angles. So I just wanted to know what worked for you. Thanks

-Shelley

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shelley,

i have two film containers installed in ten gallon vert tanks. both are about half way up on opposing sides horizontal facing the front of the tank. Tank is well planted with a piece of ghost wood leaning from the topback left of the tank and ending in the right front corner of the tank. False bottom w/ Geolite base and sphagnum moss topped with a bit of magnolia leaves. I have all three of my intermedius tanks setup this way and all three sit side my side. each tank has a pair of intermedius in them.

I'll post pics to this thread tonight of the tanks.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Jared,

Matt just picked up the retics from us a week or so ago and I think they came out of the water in July or August. So, what is that 4 months? Matt can verify this, since the date was on the container he picked them up in.

Melis

Jared J said:
Hmm....well i guess i better not tell you i witnessed my retic male
:evil: How old are these frogs? I thought you had to wait until they were a year or so before they called? Definitely jealous.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Date was early July, my spreadsheet says 7/9 so yeah were looking at about 5 months exactly. I've heard is not uncommon for thumbs to start calling and breeding this young if not younger.

Matt

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
outlawvizsla said:
Shelley,

i have two film containers installed in ten gallon vert tanks. both are about half way up on opposing sides horizontal facing the front of the tank. Tank is well planted with a piece of ghost wood leaning from the topback left of the tank and ending in the right front corner of the tank. False bottom w/ Geolite base and sphagnum moss topped with a bit of magnolia leaves. I have all three of my intermedius tanks setup this way and all three sit side my side. each tank has a pair of intermedius in them.

I'll post pics to this thread tonight of the tanks.

Matt
Cool, thanks Matt. I would love to see some pics of them. I thought that I read somewhere that the best lay sites for intermedius were film canisters turned upside down. So I was curious as to what worked for you. How long have you had your intermedius, and how old are they? (if that wasn't already answered) We have 2.2 (I think) We thought it was 1.3 for a while but have now seen (and recently heard) two different callers. So, hopefully soon I will be in your shoes!

-Shelley

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pics - lots of pics!!

Ok as promissed lots of pics...sorry dial up users i really didnt take my time to modify them down size wise. I also didnt have all the lights on in the basement so some of the coloration on the frogs, plants and tanks is off it was a quicky 5 min photo shoot.

3 vert 10 gal intermedius tanks and 1 10 gal retic tank

3 Vert intermedius tanks(closer pic) middle tank is the pair that produced three eggs.

Intermedius tank, pair #2

Intermedius tank, pair #1

Intermedius

Retic tank

Retic

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Nice tanks! I'm assuming those are the acrylic inserts from paul, how do you attach them? I have been using horizontal tens for thumbs, but may go back to verts for them, how much were they a piece. Also where did you get your ghost wood? Temps?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup those are Pauls(FCA) inserts, I believe they were attached with #16 weldon. It literally took me 5 mins to install the inserts easiest 10 gal vert i've ever setup. Just make sure if your useing it as a vert tank to silicon the inside of the tank along the black trim. As for pricing you would need to contact Paul about price, Send him a PM and Im sure he'll get back to you fairly quickly with a quote. Ghost wood was purchased from Black Jungle, tanks are all 75 degrees, and the humidity is 90%+ in the 3 intermedius tanks and probably close to 100% in the retic tank.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I got an insert too that hasn't arrived yet, can you explain the siliconing on the black rim? Do you silicone after you weld-on the insert? Thanks.

Jordan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts