Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been working on my 135 terrearium....the tanks "center piece" is a nice tree stumps I took out of my pond a couple years ago...Whole nother story... one that pictures can only tell, (I'll try to get some tank pics up later.) none the less some of the wood is in the water portion.... wich I think is staining/turning the water in my water feature...(which is a water fall that empties into a pond)... , turns the water a brown color? Can I do nothing but water changes???? or do you think some of that Pond clarifier..chem stuff would help? or should I not chance using a chemical in the water.. Even if its for outdoor pond use?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think I would just do water changes, If you end up with tads, the tannins leaching from the wood are probably better for them than crystal clear water. Though it is nice to be able to see through the water. I would'nt consider using chemicals.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It's good that the water turns brown. You don't see much crystal clear water in nature, at least not in the jungle.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea,

your right about the more natural look of the brown water.... but I was hoping on putting a pair of German rams...or Cardnal Neons in the pond portion...... The water can get so brown sometimes..you wouldnt be able to see them. None the less, tomorrow i'll get some pics up of the tank. I suppose I'll keep doing the water changes..oh boy.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When your dealing with a large lump of wood, sometimes it can turn the water allmost completely black. While i agree that a little tannic and humic acids are good for water (and great for fish fins) you do still want to be a able to see stuff, and by changing the water you could be talking about allot of work, allot of water (which i gather is treated) and therefore allot of waste. If you want seomthing to take it out use a small canister style internal filter filled with the best quality Activated Carbon. Go for one designed for use in a marine aquarium, as anything less just wont do, the tannic particles are very small, and the filtration will need to be systemised, placing a bag in the waterfall for example wont work at all. And id pre filter the water before it gets to the carbin or it'll block up with detritus and other organics before it can work on the tannis. Make sure you rinse the carbon first, and a good activated carbon will fizz like crazy when first hydrated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. i had a large lump of bogwood in a 5 gallon bucket that turnd it black allmost continually for about six months, another six months in a 80g Aquarium with weekly water changes and the leeching is allmost unoticeable. But its taken about a year to get there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts