Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen lots of great setups from people, many of which use a background involving wood. How much does this usually cost? All the wood that pet stores sell around here goes for $10-$20 a chunk! I've got a rather spartan setup I use for my four auratus, but I'd like to set up a 20-30 gallon tank for some leucs sometime in the future. I guess my question would be are there any ways to get enough wood to make a nice background, etc, for plants without paying an arm and a leg? And also, how much personally would you spend to set up a tank 20-30 gallons (minus price of frogs)? I've got a couple tanks in that range, but they're all long as opposed to tall. Any advice would be appreciated. Dart frogs may have beautiful cages, but they sure cost a lot more to setup than salamanders.

G

·
i have a 30 xh for my luecs and they use it .Rather they use the ground and the tippy top and climb up a grape wood vine i have, but they still appreciate the hieght. I prolly spent alot on it i think. I re-built it twice so that didn't help. I got my plants all from Lowes and another place locally. That will save u some, I think. However if u go with a tall tank i would go with CFs from the start. I decided not to to save some $$ but i think im gonna get some for the tank anyway.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Do you have a pet supplies plus around you? Mine had nice size pieces of cypress for 6.99. Ebay peices are cheap too and they will combine shipping on multiple orders. Search Cypress.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey nice site. Those are great prices especially for the 8-10 inch size pieces. I think i recognize that hanging coconut from the last indy show. What an item of great use to the dart frogger.

G

·
Damn 20 bucks for a baseball i thought our local place was expensive i was gonna get a peice of Malaysia wood that was like more than a foot long for 20. Hmm maybe i should reconsider that :wink:

G

·
when you say " spartain setup " are/do you mean make a tank like plastick guns, cryo-freezers, covanant forces, flood, ect. ? Like spartain from halo or halo 2 ? just wandering.

Paul

G

·
dendrokid: spartan, means scarce or not much of. i think he just meant there wasnt much in his tank. :lol:

not everything is about video games, :oops: there is also frogs :lol:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
:lol: R.O.F.L.M.A.O. yea, i guess thats why spartains are few and their numbers are strong. :D But seroisly, halo and halo 2 is " da bomb " :lol:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe, yeah. It's just got locally collected moss over the substrate, two plants, two coco-huts and a really in-effective waterfall that at least serves as some humidity and cover. I'd really like to do things proper though, so I'm going to start saving. I'd really like something that's as beautiful as the frogs kept inside.

As for that wood site, those prices looks really good, thanks for the link. It's going to really tempt me to drain the last couple hundred from my bank account and get started on another tank. Either that, or get a job. . . *shudder.* Ah, the joys of being an unemployed college student.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I feel your pain, several of us are in the same boat as you... :wink:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Have you considered the obvious--collect wood yourself? I routinely visit area lakes for "weathered" wood along the shore. I've found some incredible pieces of beaver cut wood as well as the trunks of small trees with primary roots still intact. The weathered wood holds up well in the high humidity of my tanks.
Regards,
Scott Menigoz

G

·
Would you be interested in bringing some of them to the meeting and if I like some I would be more than happy to compensate you for your efforts.
j

1 - 16 of 16 Posts