Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased some southern cypress driftwood and malaysian driftwood. I ended up with some very nice pieces. I also have some local freshwater driftwood, that will have to be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, that I could use also.

So now I'm in decision mode.

My question is do you have a preference?

Feel free to comment or share your experience with other wood also.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'll second the malaysian driftwood...holds up great, color is awesome, grows moss quickly, hard to beat.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I prefer ghost wood over any other type of vivarium wood.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I like ghost wood because it's branching shapes don't take up much floor space, leaving more space for leaf litter. I like it because ferns and mosses can pop up on it, because it is a regular jungle gym for my thumbnails, and because the branching shapes don't block much light, allowing you to plant it with vines and epiphytes.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I used ghost wood also on my last viv came out awesome, I also use manzanita, works well for me and easy to find locally.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I've heard of ghostwood, but where can you find it?
I rarely see ghost wood on our sponsors sites. :( I have a good source, but vendor feedback rules prevent me from posting it. Anyone interested can PM me for it.
Aboznut, PM sent.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I like ghost wood a lot, but I prefer to see the actu pieces before I buy, so I usually buy from a retailer who posts individual pics. It's not ghostwood but its still really nice driftwood.

I also have a cheap ghostwood source, but they aren't a sponsor

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
It isnt the type of wood that determines if it looks nice or not. Matching colours/shapes with a well thought out layout is what makes a tank stand out (just look at the build from Tuckinrim8). Usually tanks that just have pieces of wood stuck into foam dont look appealing when compared to a tanks that have a planned layout/goal in mind.

It does seem like ghostwood, sycamore roots, and white oak branches are most probable to have nice shapes though. As for malasian, its tough to find pieces that arent overly bulky/chunky for my tastes. I had to search through a few hundred pounds of it to find slim pieces that would work for a nice layout.

I just recently purchased a big box of single branches of sycamore. Hopefully I can show how to come up with an original layout using relatively plain and uncomplicated hardscape materials....eventually lol

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Antelope bitterbrush
From the pictures just seen of Antelope bitterbrush it could certainly be ghost wood. I'm curious if you know this for a fact or if you are assuming because it looks the same. I'm not arguing with you, rather, I would be pleased to know the species.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts