Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I've had a nice WOO HOO, but a pair of azureus have given me the blessing of doing so. I've had this particular pair for around 6 months and had already laid a couple of clutches for their previous owner. The male had called a few times in the past but the female never seemed interested in him. Well, I decided that I didn't like the vivarium that they were being kept in (it was one of my first attempts at making a viv) and decided to re-build another 20H for them. I finally got them into this viv yesterday and it didn't take long at all for them to become acclimated (apparently they didn't like the other one too much either). I had been misting all of my frogs 4 -5 times a day and feeding twice a day for about a month now. Today, the female has been all over the male, chasing him around and stroking his flanks constantly. This has been going on since the lights came on and they are now in the hut cleaning off a spot on the dish inside!! Woo hoo for them!! I know not to get my hopes up as I've had my share of 'FCS(first clutch synddrome)'...but then, I've had first timers lay laarge healthy clutches that went on to develop into nice size froglets. I'm hoping for the best and that they continue to lay for me. I'll keep everyone updtaed for sure!

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaron,

In my experience, males will call when relocated to a new environment. I have also found that females are the prime initiators when it comes to reproduction. Thanks for the congrats!!

-Bill J.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Congrats... I'm knee deep in azureus tads... :)

BillJohnson said:
Been a while since I've had a nice WOO HOO, but a pair of azureus have given me the blessing of doing so. I've had this particular pair for around 6 months and had already laid a couple of clutches for their previous owner. The male had called a few times in the past but the female never seemed interested in him. Well, I decided that I didn't like the vivarium that they were being kept in (it was one of my first attempts at making a viv) and decided to re-build another 20H for them. I finally got them into this viv yesterday and it didn't take long at all for them to become acclimated (apparently they didn't like the other one too much either). I had been misting all of my frogs 4 -5 times a day and feeding twice a day for about a month now. Today, the female has been all over the male, chasing him around and stroking his flanks constantly. This has been going on since the lights came on and they are now in the hut cleaning off a spot on the dish inside!! Woo hoo for them!! I know not to get my hopes up as I've had my share of 'FCS(first clutch synddrome)'...but then, I've had first timers lay laarge healthy clutches that went on to develop into nice size froglets. I'm hoping for the best and that they continue to lay for me. I'll keep everyone updtaed for sure!

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BillJohnson said:
Aaron,

I have also found that females are the prime initiators when it comes to reproduction.

-Bill J.
I have also noticed that the female is the prime initiator. The male knows it is breeding time when the female jumps on him and practically tries to rape him :D (not seriously, but you know what I mean). My male doesn't even call anymore, the female just shows when she is ready, and then they lay eggs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bhoff said:
I have also noticed that the female is the prime initiator. The male knows it is breeding time when the female jumps on him and practically tries to rape him :D (not seriously, but you know what I mean). My male doesn't even call anymore, the female just shows when she is ready, and then they lay eggs.
Brian,
I've seen this with mine as well. The males seem to stop calling once the pair has laid a few times.

I came home tonight to find that they laid 3 eggs! Not a large clutch but not bad for their first time. I'm hoping that they are good but that's a longshot. Will definitely let you all know how they turn out.

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im calling my female Six from now on cause she seems to always lay 6 eggs. I got my 3rd clutch couple days ago and 2 eggs are bad so far and hope to get some tads this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts