Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pleasantly surprised to find a clutch of 8 eggs in my Man Creek tank this morning (the first clutch I've gotten from them). I believe both are female, so it was no surprise that they all were infertile. This got me thinking to check my basti's tank, and sure enough, there was a single egg in a brom axil. The jury is still out on whether it's fertile, but it's a step in the right direction none the less. On the topic of the Man Creek's, is it common for female pumilio to lay without the presence of a male?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Dane,
How close are your other pumilio to your "pair" of females? If calling males are close enough, females will still lay clutches from time to time. Most of my pumilio vivs are all lined up on shelves, so I sometimes discover clutches of infertile eggs every few months or so in tanks with lone females. It's possible that you have a 1.1 pair, however.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dane,
Female Pumilio will respond to the calls of males of different morphs. You see the same behavior in other pdf's (even ones with completely different calls, such as Leucomelas and auratus), which result in hybrids.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts