Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pair of bri-bris at the last IAD, which were absolutely amazing. When I got them home, they each staked out territories in their viv and would fight if one crossed over. They both developed into fairly large and fat goobers. So, with the fighting, no calling, and fat wide bodies, I assumed I had 2 females.

Well, I was wrong! I came home today to one bri-bri calling his head off and going absolutely buck wild! He was calling away, while jumping all over his mate. He was placing his hand on her back, walking all over her, and then getting on top of her and hugging her with his front arms. I have never seen or heard of this kind of behavior. It looks pretty aggressive, but the female doesn't seem to be really bugged by it. The male then proceeded to stop bugging the female and hopped, at full speed, around his tank. He was jumping from leaf to leaf, missing a few and falling into the leaf litter :) Has anyone ever seen an overzealous male do this? Should I cut back on the dendroccinos? :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROTFLMAO..... Not married, but this pretty much encapsulates saturday nights with the girl :) Didn't know I had so much in common with my frogs!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe,

Watch out! That could be 2 males. I had a similar experience with bris bris in the past. I purchased a 'pair' from a gentleman and it turned out to be 2 males. The larger male (originally mistaken for a female as it was very large for a pum) had established dominance and would occasionally wrestle and physically intimidate the smaller male which sat and did nothing aside from try to flee. The alpha male would sit high up in the viv and watch everything the smaller guy did. At night, the lesser male would sleep within close proximity of the alpha male. It was very confusing at first as alot of signs pointed to a pair until I actually seperated them and watch the smaller male begin calling. If I were you, I wouyld do a trial seperation for a while until you are more positive that the non-calling frog is a female...or male. Best of luck with them!

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill,

Did your dominant male call in close proximity to your other male? Like an inch away?

~Joe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes he did..in fact he screamed his head off and would not leave the little guy alone. I seperate mainly for the fear of losing the little one....the alpha was very aggresive and much larger than he.

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Sounds a bit like mine, but they are not calling yet. One is fat and round and the other is long and thinner. I thought I would have calling by now, but nothing. We will see...

Good luck, and keep us updated.

hicksonj said:
I picked up a pair of bri-bris at the last IAD, which were absolutely amazing. When I got them home, they each staked out territories in their viv and would fight if one crossed over. They both developed into fairly large and fat goobers. So, with the fighting, no calling, and fat wide bodies, I assumed I had 2 females.

Well, I was wrong! I came home today to one bri-bri calling his head off and going absolutely buck wild! He was calling away, while jumping all over his mate. He was placing his hand on her back, walking all over her, and then getting on top of her and hugging her with his front arms. I have never seen or heard of this kind of behavior. It looks pretty aggressive, but the female doesn't seem to be really bugged by it. The male then proceeded to stop bugging the female and hopped, at full speed, around his tank. He was jumping from leaf to leaf, missing a few and falling into the leaf litter :) Has anyone ever seen an overzealous male do this? Should I cut back on the dendroccinos? :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I agree with Bill that it sounds more like a male exerting his dominace then a pair. When they go into what looks like amplexus it is usually wrestling, as darts don't go into amplexus like most frogs. I have seen both of these frogs of course (and picked them up at IAD for Joe... how I wish they were mine lol), and they do both look like the same sex... and since they haven't called I was with Joe on the 2 females idea. I think they have wrestled before, right? If so, I would keep an eye on them and may try seperating them like Bill suggested... as I have done that with frogs and the unsexed individuals that I suspected as males started calling within minutes. I think Ben had this happen with his imitator as well. But at least you know they are reaching sexual maturity now, and they do have an awesome call so you can enjoy that at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts