Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North of Seattle we're having a nice snowstorm, but now the power is out and the battery backup for my paludarium lights and fans is about to run out. My next concern is the house getting cold without heat. I hope my plants don't get too cold... Luckily there are no animals to worry about. When the battery backup is out I'm going to wrap the tank in a blanket to hold some heat. Any other tips?

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
North of Seattle we're having a nice snowstorm, but now the power is out and the battery backup for my paludarium lights and fans is about to run out. My next concern is the house getting cold without heat. I hope my plants don't get too cold... Luckily there are no animals to worry about. When the battery backup is out I'm going to wrap the tank in a blanket to hold some heat. Any other tips?
how culd is it getting? If it's just like the low 50's I can't see that being much of an issue for a few days

·
Registered
502 Posts
I know others fill water bottles with hot water and place them in the tanks, and then they switch them out as they start to get cold. This is usually done to keep frogs warm but im guessing it would help to keep the planted tanks at least warmer than the room.

Personally, I also put towels on the tank until its covered in an attempt to keep it slightly warm.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You would be amazed at what plants can handle my greenhouse went down too 42 over night a couple weeks ago and did very little damage and all i have in there are orchids, tropical carnivores plants and herbs. to my amazement now at least 5 or 6 orchids are getting ready to bloom and I have a bunch of new pitches forming.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help everybody. If you could only see me now, sitting on the floor in the corner of the pitch black room, with only my iPhone plugged into an extra battery backup unit. I still have 3 hours of juice for iPhone Internet left. Muahahahahaha. .... I feel so ashamed lol

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I recently received a 2 day shipment of tropical plants and mosses. Temps were in the low 30's high 20's. Shipment was in a styrofoam cooler but it did NOT have any heat packs or Phase 22 packs. Everything was absolutely fine and is establishing nicely.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know. It seems a lot of plants are hardier than we would suspect, at least for brief periods. I guess the fact that people ship plants in boxes for days at a time also answers my question about what happens if there is no power for the tank lights for a few days....nothing

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Yep the powers out at my place too. My house is at 59 now, tanks are all between 65-70 depending on how high off the ground they are. I won't start to worry till the house is in the low 50's. After that, looks like it'll be heat packs and propane tent heater time :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
My power was out for 48 hours, the room temp was dropping to 52.
I ended up grabbing all my tanks and began rotating them in front of the fireplace to warm them up gently.

Now for some much needed sleep with the power finally being back on.

Pig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts