Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned my lesson buying plants in winter. Any wisdom on if these plants will recover? Bromeliad, marcgravia red umbellata and st lucia. They all looked healthy when they came in and then quickly started looking like this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How quickly did they look like that? Cold damage usually shows up in about 24 hours. If it took longer it might be your conditions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How quickly did they look like that? Cold damage usually shows up in about 24 hours. If it took longer it might be your conditions.
yeah it started within about 24 hours, the marcgravias started losing leaves and shriveling over the course of a couple days.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The middle Marcgravia is a goner. Does the bottom one have any roots?

You could try applying rooting hormone to both and then Sphag N Bag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The middle Marcgravia is a goner. Does the bottom one have any roots?

You could try applying rooting hormone to both and then Sphag N Bag.
I got both of them in bags with moss and dipped their roots in rooting hormone. wish em luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck. Make sure to share the results!

Was about to ship some plants and also have some plants shipped to me. Definitely having second thoughts right now.
I think the problem was that it was over the holiday and it got delayed a day. If you do it just use 2 day shipping and you should be alright.

·
Registered
153 Posts
USPS priority mail is pretty unreliable right now, could take 2 days, could take a week, and the timing isn’t guaranteed. Use with caution at the moment.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't speak for the Marcgravias specifically, but I've had a few plants come back from the dead after I thought they were goners. In a few cases, it took almost 2 months before I saw new growth again.

So who knows, give them a chance and let us know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts