Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a crazy idea to make one of my window wells into a dart frog vivarium. I would cover up the top with plexi glass or something. We plan on putting a waterfall and small pond in it. I would also put a large piece of driftwood in it. Do you think this is a good idea?

I also have some questions. How do you think I should heat it? Also what about lighting, drainage, etc.?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The side of the house that the window well is on is in the shade so I don't think the sun would be a problem.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
maybe put a cardboard box around the window and take temps throughout the day to see if the temps get too high?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Intriguing. We are talking about a basement window well that is dug into the ground, right? If so, the dirt around it will function some as an insulator. If the sun would become a problem, you could also use a LowE glass unit over the window well. The double pane will insulate, and the LowE will block excess UV light and also block a lot of the intense heat.
Drainage also poses a problem as you don't want to drain your wastewater right into the local ecosystem.
I'm not sure what all this would take to pull off, but it is a neat idea.

Reactions: Kyleef

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you suggest for heating during the winter. I was thinking maybe using heat cables?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Don't forget flooding from heavy rains-- temperature is going to be very hard to control.

Also, wildlife damage could become an issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been thinking about that for a while now. Currently, we use our window wells to house plants and an aquaponics system, even throughout the winter. The ground does act as a great insulator and the temperatures (in at least mine) fluctuate very little even in the sun.

The winter is my main concern because the temperatures do tend to drop substantially in the window well that has a basic plexiglass greenhouse canopy. I have found that after installing the aquaponics system, that uses a heater to heat its main water tank, the temperatures are more stable (but still drop). Perhaps for the winter you could add some sort of top other than plexiglass that will add insulation? Although if you do this you would have to find an alternative method of lighting during the colder parts of the year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have decided that we are going to cover the bottom of the window well with cement to keep the waste water from draining right into the ground. We are also going to put in a light fixture. It is about 280 gallons so how many frogs do you think could go in there? Also what species do you recommend?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
for 280 gallons, the possibilities are endless. a large group of terribilis or leucomelas would be awesome. large group of auratus or thumbs would be just as cool.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
mistking. but, I don't know how well it would fit in a window well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
You could drill a hole through the wall under the window well and put a pvc drain in the bottom run it through the hole in the wall and into sump pit drain.as far as inside the well once the drain is installed place a few inches of gravel ontop of the concrete and drain then cover the gravel with charcoal or fiberglass screen.then substrate

Reactions: Kyleef
1 - 20 of 31 Posts