Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
I honestly can’t ID that particular fern, but “most” common viv plants will quickly gobble up the confines of 12x12x18. Besides…with the already limited floor space, you’d probably be better off to stick with leaf litter and some hard scape. I’d personally go with vines and epiphytes when it comes to planting an enclosure with those dimensions.

What livestock are you planning on adding?

· Registered
642 Posts
There’s a ton of cool(big and small) Aroid vines, marcgravia spp, solanum spp, ficus, even some neat vining begonias. Epiphytes: miniature orchids, miniature ferns (microgramma spp.), mini bromeliads, Tillandsias, etc…the list goes on. There’s many many more that I didn’t mention. Other members will chime in.

It really depends on how big of leaves you’re wanting and what species of frog (if any) you’re building this viv for.

That’s a very nice looking viv you’ve built so far!

If you’re open to comments or suggestions, I wouldn’t get too emotionally attached to your grapewood. It will likely decompose rather quickly in the viv’s humid environment. Ghost wood, manzanita, mopani are much more durable.

One of our ever-so-kind moderators even built a plant database that can help you fine tune your plant search.

· Registered
Azureus, Vanzolinii
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow awesome, your list alone will be a lot to start from! I really want to incorporate some marcgravia silensis and ficus thunbergii but can't find any near me at the moment (common theme).

Thanks for kind words RE newbie hardscape setup.

I was looking for ghostwood/manzanita, which I'm more accustomed to working with coming from the world of aquatic planted tanks. But I just moved up to Canada and at least in the area I'm in, they only have grapewood, eucalyptus (tons of sharp jagged edges), massive flat uninteresting mopani, or way overpriced stuff mounted on slate.

I couldn't even find any cork rounds around me. So, I had to just work with what I had.

From reading around here, it seems hit or miss with the grapewood. Some say theirs rotted away very quickly, others report having good success for longterm builds. It seemed to me from other's experiences, a differentiator was whether the wood was constantly in wet substrate and/or heavy misting. Folks who installed it a bit off the substrate seemed to have better durability. There also seems to be some difference between raw grapewood (bark on) vs. the sandblasted/baked perhaps denser wood?

So, in the end I'll just have to make do and hope keeping the grapewood higher up will yield durable results!

Until I can get some nicer plants in, I'll just cycle the tank with what I can scrounge up...

Plant Leaf Wood Grass Terrestrial plant

1 - 6 of 6 Posts