Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Out of curiosity on a daily basis will a frog over eat if there are abundant flies present, or will they behave in a 'natural' manner and eat just what they require, leaving the rest for another day.

cheers Marcus

·
Administrator
8,691 Posts
They will overeat if given the opportunity. I've seen some REALLY fat frogs on the board here.

The bigger concern is that they can also get stressed out if their food item crawls all over them.

So, feed smaller amounts more often if that is a concern. Also, put a small piece of fruit somewhere in the tank (preferably towards the back away from any opening) to draw the fruit flies to one place.

Good luck.

s

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice name!

Yes frogs will eat too much if given the chance. You soon get used to how much to feed depending on age, species and number in viv. What you feed also plays a part - some feeders are high in fats and should only be fed occasionally.

Regards
Marcus

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes, they will
One interesting thing we cannot deny is that most creatures will overeat if they are given too much food
so remember to give due amount of food to them

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
One exception to this is growing froglets. You can't overfeed them. But, they do freak out more if they have springtails or ffs crawling all over them. I gave two auratus froglets to a friend and he put some springs in with them. One freaked out, had a seizure and died!

Anyway, for the adults, I'd feed them as much as it takes to keep them looking healthy. Also, keep in mind that the females are supposed to look "plump" when they are gravid and this is the time of year when the female Tincs and Auratus are plumping up, so a little extra food and calcium supplements are in order.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sorry to hijack this post but is feeding 30 to 40 flies every other day too little for two auratus in a tank with a healthy spring population?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
That seems like a little on the lean side, especially if you want them to breed. I feed mine about twice that or more. You might consider supplementing with the occasional termites.
Sorry to hijack this post but is feeding 30 to 40 flies every other day too little for two auratus in a tank with a healthy spring population?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts