Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some plants in the mail the other day. Unfortunately they took a bit longer than expected with the holidays and two of them showed up not looking so good. I planted both to see if they make it but wanted to get thoughts on if they’re dead and i should just take them out. One is a begonia tiger kitten and the other is solanum evolvulifolium.
41C7BACC-867B-471A-AA1E-976D7570D2C8.jpeg
41C7BACC-867B-471A-AA1E-976D7570D2C8.jpeg

·
Registered
298 Posts
If the Begonia has good roots, I think it could grow back from the roots. The solanum appears to have an intact growing tip, so that’s possible also. I think you have a chance with both, but I agree about contacting the seller.

Your best shot is to dunk the Solanum in rooting hormone and place it on top of moist Sphagnum (not planted in the soil) in a place with high humidity and decent air flow. Some people use ziploc bags with a layer of moist Sphagnum - aired out occasionally - for rooting.

Some begonias can propagate from leaves, so it might be worthwhile to cut off the best looking piece of a leaf and treat it the same as the Solanum, with rooting hormone and moist Sphagnum. Here’s a good article about propagating begonias from leaf cuttings.

·
Super Moderator
3,299 Posts
That vendor (I recognize the handwriting -- one of my favorite professional vendors) has expressly discontinued live guarantees due to weather, holidays and covid, justifiably, IMO. Any one of those three factors alone makes shipping a risk.

Reactions: jacobwulgee

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That vendor (I recognize the handwriting -- one of my favorite professional vendors) has expressly discontinued live guarantees due to weather, holidays and covid, justifiably, IMO. Any one of those three factors alone makes shipping a risk.
thanks for the info, haven’t been able to reach them but they’re also one of my favorites. New to the hobby, who are some of your other favorites? message me if you don’t wanna name names

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the Begonia has good roots, I think it could grow back from the roots. The solanum appears to have an intact growing tip, so that’s possible also. I think you have a chance with both, but I agree about contacting the seller.

Your best shot is to dunk the Solanum in rooting hormone and place it on top of moist Sphagnum (not planted in the soil) in a place with high humidity and decent air flow. Some people use ziploc bags with a layer of moist Sphagnum - aired out occasionally - for rooting.

Some begonias can propagate from leaves, so it might be worthwhile to cut off the best looking piece of a leaf and treat it the same as the Solanum, with rooting hormone and moist Sphagnum. Here’s a good article about propagating begonias from leaf cuttings.
i put the solanum in sphagnum moss. left the begonia rooted in the tank. i guess we’ll see how they do.

·
Super Moderator
3,299 Posts
The notice is posted on their site on the shipping page and the guarantee page.

Most differences between the major viv plant vendors is preference. I like vendors who focus on plants I can't just get at Home Depot or a local nursery (I actually strongly dislike shopping for viv plants at local general nurseries because the plants usually aren't labeled, and HD...well...they already put most real lumber dealers out of business, and are set to kill carpet and appliance stores; further conquest will be without my help).

Depends what sort of plants you're looking for, but most of the major viv plant vendors are good. I do a web search for 'vivarium plants', and then search here for other people's experiences when I find a vendor I'm considering.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'd bet the begonia at least will make it. I've had begonia regenerate after being entirely devoured by slugs or allowed to dry out. They're pretty bullet proof in my experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It dosent look good by any means but you’d be suprised how resilient they can be. I have a Peperomia Griseoargentea which dropped all of its leaves and died. One leaf however was buried for at least a couple days until I found it. It had roots coming out of the base of the lead and was still green and growing. My buddy had a marcgravia which was almost completely dead and he decided to pull it. A few months later he found a small vine of the exact plant growing. Just make sure that they are not exposed to to much light and have good soil conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts