Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to the hobby and planning to get 2 dart frogs next month* for my 24x18x18 vivarium. I am hoping for a same-sex pair, as I don't especially want the frogs to breed while I am still such a beginner. I do recognize that the frogs' age will likely present issues with sexing so I may end up with a different-sex pair. In light of this, I'd love to get your input on bromeliads.

I have had the vivarium generally set up for about 8 weeks now, gradually filling it out with plants. I have noticed that a lot of dart frog vivariums seem to have bromeliads. My understanding is that these plants are popular due to their ability to encourage breeding, so I have not been planning to add any to the viv so as not to encourage breeding. I have been mindful of ensuring adequate climbing and hiding space as well, which I understand is another common function of the bromeliad.

However, since I am new to this, I wanted to check in with people who are more experienced to make sure that a vivarium without bromeliads will not be somehow detrimental to the frogs in a way that I have not considered.

Thank you so much for your help :) I really want to do this right.

*At a trade show, to avoid shipping during the summer heat

·
Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
328 Posts
My darts (e. Anthonyi) definitely bred in a bromeliad…but they also laid eggs in the leaf litter. Whether the brom was there or not was not a determining factor. It did give them a place to drop/hide some tads that I had to remove later. At the same time, my same sex tanks, most of my frogs still use the broms plenty… But I have a smaller species, so broms are perfect for them to sleep and hang out in. Non-breeding usage.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Thank you! Are there other reasons to avoid bromeliads?
Only if it's a thorny specimen since you're having larger frogs. My azureus used to enjoy climbing in the broms. The same with my auratus. None of my larger tincs (Suriname cobalt and giant orange) used them much at all.

If you don't provide a deposition site for tadpoles than any produced will just die.

You could spend a little more to get same sex frogs but tincs do best in male/female pairs.

Also, I can't recommend getting frogs at a show. The exception is if you research the breeders going to the show beforehand. Or even better, communicate with them and have the frogs you want waiting at the show for you. Either way, you should make sure you know the source of your frogs. Otherwise you really have no clue who the person is or the health of those frogs. You're just flipping a coin and hoping you're getting good frogs.

·
Registered
Frogs
1,847 Posts
Unless they have thorns then no
Thorns don't mather at all..

@BeanBoyTurn

Tinctorius can be oppurtunistic and will use (larger) bromeliad leaves to lay eggs on since those leaves have a nice and flat surface + high moisture level. But that's it.. Aside from the plants beeing a potential sleep or hiding place, they won't be any different from other plants to the frogs.

I think you might be misinformed or confusing (as often most people are, even 'experienced' keepers) in all frogs beëing 'Oophaga'..

So , I want to inform you that most dart frogs don't egg feed their tadpoles in the axils of bromeliads! Only the Oophaga genus and certain members of the Ranitomeya aply this eggfeeding parenting behavior.

This seems to be often what people are confused about and think all dartfrogs need bromeliads, which is simoly not the case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only if it's a thorny specimen since you're having larger frogs. My azureus used to enjoy climbing in the broms. The same with my auratus. None of my larger tincs (Suriname cobalt and giant orange) used them much at all.

If you don't provide a deposition site for tadpoles than any produced will just die.

You could spend a little more to get same sex frogs but tincs do best in male/female pairs.

Also, I can't recommend getting frogs at a show. The exception is if you research the breeders going to the show beforehand. Or even better, communicate with them and have the frogs you want waiting at the show for you. Either way, you should make sure you know the source of your frogs. Otherwise you really have no clue who the person is or the health of those frogs. You're just flipping a coin and hoping you're getting good frogs.

Thank you. The show I am going to is the Reptile Super Show in Anaheim, CA. They have Josh's Frogs listed as a vendor, and I was planning to purchase from them. Unfortunately I missed the preorder window for the show by about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thorns don't mather at all..

@BeanBoyTurn

Tinctorius can be oppurtunistic and will use (larger) bromeliad leaves to lay eggs on since those leaves have a nice and flat surface + high moisture level. But that's it.. Aside from the plants beeing a potential sleep or hiding place, they won't be any different from other plants to the frogs.

I think you might be misinformed or confusing (as often most people are, even 'experienced' keepers) in all frogs beëing 'Oophaga'..

So , I want to inform you that most dart frogs don't egg feed their tadpoles in the axils of bromeliads! Only the Oophaga genus and certain members of the Ranitomeya aply this eggfeeding parenting behavior.

This seems to be often what people are confused about and think all dartfrogs need bromeliads, which is simoly not the case.
Thank you! This is very helpful information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts