Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired 3 azureus froglets. They are all beautiful and healthy looking. One of them is slighly smaller than the other two, though, so I put him in a shoebox of his own so he wouldn't have to compete for food. I added some flies (enough so that they were easy to find, but not so many that he was overwhelmed), and I watch to see if he eats, but he just seems to generally ignore them. I only got him on Saturday, so I suppose he could still be adjusting and "de-stressing," but at what point should I worry, and is there anything I can do to encourage feeding?

Thanks for your help!
~B

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is probably just stress. I had an auratus not eat for almost 2 weeks after I got him. He lost weight but after 4 months, he has caught back up completely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some advice

First, I would contact the breeder/vendor you acquired the frog from and let them know what is going on with the little guy. Second, patience is really goping to be your best friend here and there's not a whole lot you can do to encourage the guy to eat. Keep stress to an absolute minimum and offer alot of shelter and heavy pothos/philo cuts to the shoebox so that the acclimation may be smoother for him. Many people argue that planting should be minimum in a temporary housing but I totally disagree with that. I have found that frogs acclimate and do much better when they have heavier plant growth around them. Keep an eye on him and let us know how things go. Best of luck with the frog!

-Bill J.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
You can also try covering 3 sides of the box it is in if it is clear. It makes them feel more safe.

TheCheat said:
I recently aquired 3 azureus froglets. They are all beautiful and healthy looking. One of them is slighly smaller than the other two, though, so I put him in a shoebox of his own so he wouldn't have to compete for food. I added some flies (enough so that they were easy to find, but not so many that he was overwhelmed), and I watch to see if he eats, but he just seems to generally ignore them. I only got him on Saturday, so I suppose he could still be adjusting and "de-stressing," but at what point should I worry, and is there anything I can do to encourage feeding?

Thanks for your help!
~B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.