Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will Mantella Madagascariensis breed in Bromilliad type plants :? . I've had three of my four frequenting this plant for the last few days. They have never done this before so I'm thinking they put some eggs in there. Its way too hard for me to get in there to look due to the many orchids I have mounted on the bark and sticks in the tank. I was just sure these guys layed on wet moss or similar. Could it be the atwer dish is below this plant? I don't know, any suggestions?

·
Registered
720 Posts
I better check mine now that you mention it. I have a one fat M. viridis that spends alot of time in a bromeliad. I am sure they are breeding but can never find the eggs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have never seen any mantella's breed in a bromeliad, but I am sure that m. laevigata would. As for your madagascariensis, I really doubt they will lay eggs in it, as the leaf would be too dry, and they won't lay eggs directly in water, as the eggs would not survive. They may lay underneath the bromeliad, as the substrate would be moist enough, and especially if you had a water dish underneath it. My m. viridis usually lay underneath cork pieces, speaking of, one that is directly under a bromeliad they all hang out in.

I have been keeping a group of 8 viridis with broms for quite some time now, and they do love the broms,but have never layed a clutch of eggs in one. They just like to sit in the water pool at the axial. Sometimes 3 or so will be using the same axial, but no breeding. I do have a male that frequently calls from his bromeliad too.
THis is all just my opinion though, I hope they can prove me wrong :). Keep us posted if you find anything.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't kept madagascariensis in about 8 years, but...

Mine did lay twice in a bromeliad. It was a tillandsia, to be exact. If they lay in a bromeliad, it will be hard to miss. Mantellas lay large clutches, it is remarkable that so much 'stuff' can come out of one frog. My aurantiaca laid in a bromeliad before also. But mainly... if you have a water area, look for eggs along the banks of your water. Mantellas try to lay near water, as the tads have no help getting into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts