Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting a side opening door on the 44 Pentgon I'm building.

I've searched on here and read a ton of posts but haven't seen any info on this.

Will a couple of hinges like you can buy at Josh's Frogs work on a side opening door? Will silicone be enough to hold them?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Silicone does not adhere well to plastic. Ive a lot of issues finding something to bond plastic to glass. Best bet is epoxy imo

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've used acrylic piano hinges on verts before with no issues. However, I think the deciding factor is how heavy the glass is that the hinges will be supporting. If you're using thick, heavy glass, a couple small, acrylic hinges may not hold.

Pat

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've used acrylic piano hinges on verts before with no issues. However, I think the deciding factor is how heavy the glass is that the hinges will be supporting. If you're using thick, heavy glass, a couple small, acrylic hinges may not hold.

Pat
Ditto. i'm currently using them on my 40B vert w/ a side opening. Got some Gorilla Glue epoxy (the high strength type) mixed it up good let it set for a second before applying then clamped taped them down for about 36 hours.. NO problems. don't put to much or the inside won't fully cure, also it helps to drill a hole or two so the epoxy comes up through it for added grip. same w/ the sides. Mine look nice and professional and holds great. I wouldn't pull on it or anything lol. but It's been up for 3 months now still going good.
------
another alternative is to goto the hardware store and just buy the metal hinges you find for cabinets, sand and spray paint your choice color looks great, leave the bottom unpainted and sanded. (think 400 grit)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Anybody tried hot glue for attaching acrylic hinges to glass vivs? I've been thinking about trying that.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Anybody tried hot glue for attaching acrylic hinges to glass vivs? I've been thinking about trying that.
Yeah.. EPIC FAIL :D

I'm sure depending on your application it could be effective, Like a lid that rarely supports weight and even when open its not full weight. Also I'm sure a proper prep would help (Clean the glass w/ alcohol maybe roughen up the surface of the hinge.) But I used windex to clean the glass and didn't do anything on the hinge.. didn't last that long. I love hot glue, but w/in this hobby I've honestly had VERY little success w/ it's application.

BTW: here's a link to my build thread where you can see my hinges. I also cut part of the lid to allow the hinges to sit flush when closed.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/76494-renovating-my-40b-vert-start-finish-one-post-what.html#post676619

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hot glue will fail overtime. It's terrible. Use it only for arts and craft projects. I learn that since I would use it for my architecture projects and even then the hot glue would fail.
Epoxy is the best. There are certain epoxys that bonds glue to plastic. I think gorilla glue should work. I got a liquid that bonds plexi to plexi and crazy how the chemical reaction works and dries clear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I'm still undecided on what to use. I'll go to the hardware store and see if there are any other options. I'd love to find something that fits on the top and bottom and swivels. That would hold the weight much better than on the side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have also used hot glue in the past with bad results. It will hold for a while but moisture over time will pop the bead of glue every time, and you'll be standing there with a piece of the door in your hand trying to figure out how to safely reattach it with frogs in the vivarium. I switched over to aquarium sealant on my acrylic hinges (I always use the acrylic hinges directly on the glass, never tried to attach them to plastic) and it has worked beautifully for the last year or so.
Will

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have about 10 slope front, old Euro style vivs I built. They are glass with acrylic hinges. I drilled 4 holes into each hinge to allow an extra "bite" for the silicone. Over the past year, two have still come loose.

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
309 Posts
I use acrylic hinges almost exclusively after having failures with the living hinges. As you can see in the photo I have a mix of both; I purchase the acrylic hinges from US Plastics. My glass varies from 1/4" to 1/8" but the doors are never left hanging open so I can't confirm the holding power from a static load. I've had to remove one before and it was not easy with the piano hinges; have had pulls or knobs totally come off though. I've really wanted to do a side opening door as well but haven't quite figured out how to line up the hinge against the plastic rim, I'm hoping you'll figure it out and tell the rest of us how to do it.
good luck!
Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is it possible to attached these hinges mechanically? i.e. drilling small holes in the glass and attaching hinges with screws, washers, etc...

My concern would be drilling holes so close the the edge of a piece of glass, but this seems the most permanent solution?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Obviously you have never drilled glass ;) Im sure it could be done with the right equipment and time, but i dont think anyone here has the ability to drill a bunch of small holes within half inch of the glass edge.

Is it possible to attached these hinges mechanically? i.e. drilling small holes in the glass and attaching hinges with screws, washers, etc...

My concern would be drilling holes so close the the edge of a piece of glass, but this seems the most permanent solution?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Obviously you have never drilled glass ;) Im sure it could be done with the right equipment and time, but i dont think anyone here has the ability to drill a bunch of small holes within half inch of the glass edge.
It is recommended to stay at least one inch away from the edge when drilling glass. Even if you could pull that off without breaking it, it would be very fragile. I could do it, but I won't as it would be weak and easily broken.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not yet, but I will be soon.

Obviously my concern with drilling so close to the edge is warranted and I won't be trying it.

Good to know, but leaves me with the same conundrum as everyone else...
:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been doing a lot of reading up on this and I think I'm going to go with the acrylic hinges but use epoxy to attach them. Sounds like it bonds the best to both acrylic and glass. I've got a decent amount of experience with epoxy from when I flew RC airplanes and it is really tough stuff that I would think would do much better than silicone.

I'm going to etch each surface for better bonding too. I'll probably use a sanding drum in my dremel.

I'll post how it turns out but it might be a week or two.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've been doing a lot of reading up on this and I think I'm going to go with the acrylic hinges but use epoxy to attach them. Sounds like it bonds the best to both acrylic and glass. I've got a decent amount of experience with epoxy from when I flew RC airplanes and it is really tough stuff that I would think would do much better than silicone.

I'm going to etch each surface for better bonding too. I'll probably use a sanding drum in my dremel.

I'll post how it turns out but it might be a week or two.

Good plan, exactly what I did. Also, take the same sanding drum and scuff the surface of the glass on the TANK for extra adhesion as it won't be visible from the front.

Also for those interested in similar endevors. I made a frame out of screening Material and siliconed my Glass inside of the frame. Been happy so far w/ the look, you can see how it turned out in that thread I linked a little while back. The benefit is that you have the metal to adhere the hinges to and you can even look at drilling them for screws/bolts if you really want to go that route,however the epoxy has worked fine for me.

Now I'm really wishing I'd documented that part of my build to help everyone else out, sorry :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After thinking about using the epoxy for a while, I realized that I'd only have one shot at getting it right. If I made a mistake during the gluing process or if the epoxy yellowed with age and seriously doubt I'd ever be able to get the stuff off and be able to start over.

So I started searching for non-permanent ways to do the hinges. What I came up with are these hinges. I found them on ebay and with shipping they are almost $35. Which is funny because I bought my 44 gallon pentagon tank with stand, flourescent light and hood, filter, and gravel for $80. Two little hinges cost half as much as the tank and stand.

But, I didn't see any other viable option. These will hold the weight and I'll be able to easily adjust them to get them perfectly aligned. I think they'll be worth it.

I'll update with pics when I get them in.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Please do. I found these the other day when this thread popped up and I got yelled at about drilling hinges. (Kidding)

I'm very curious to see how they work for you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I too am curious about these. I've recently gotten a 44 gallon pentagon off craigslist and looking to make it front opening too. One thing that might be a problem with those hinges is fruit fly escapes. It looks like it will leave a fairly large sized gap between the two panes of glass. Have you thought of that and come up with a solution? One potential one would be to create a silicone edge completely around the door.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts