Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Question:

My light fixture came with a 10k and an actinic bulb for reef tanks. I will be replacing these eventually, but I am wondering if they will work to at least sustain my plants until I can get something in the 6.5k spectrum? Will my plants die or will they just not grow quickly?

I'm also having a heck of a time finding 18" 18w 6500k bulbs. I have looked at a LOT of bulbs, but the 18w 18" ones seem to be a rare breed. I'm sure several of you have seen me ask about this in similar threads, and I have searched where people say but as of yet no luck. The only thing close I found was a 6k bulb by aquaticlife. Would that work? The fixture I'm using is a 20" odyssea. Does anyone else use this fixture and have success in finding the perfect bulb? Is so, please tell!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Dont bother looking for the length of the bulb, Just look for a 18w HO T5. you should find plenty of places selling them online. I think your plants will be able to survive just fine with that set up. I wouldn't even replace the 10k bulb, just the actinic

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I agree, the actinic is useless for plants, the 10000k is fine though. Most of the new led's are 10,000k on the white bulbs, and the plants love em. if you can find a 5500 to 7000 k that would probably be a little better though...

Reactions: Venutus1

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i'll probably plop down for a couple 6k aquaticlife bulbs in the next months.
Maybe keep the 10k and have an extra 6k for spare.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Where did you get this odyssea fixture if you don't mind me asking? It would be perfect for a tank I just built, i'm haveing a devil of a time finding anything but the reef LED's in a 20" fixture..... i'd really like to use t-5's, but 18"ers are rare....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Where did you get this odyssea fixture if you don't mind me asking? It would be perfect for a tank I just built, i'm haveing a devil of a time finding anything but the reef LED's in a 20" fixture..... i'd really like to use t-5's, but 18"ers are rare....
They are rare.. I didnt realize this when I bought the fixture! I got it off ebay for $35 delivered. You may be able to find one with 6500k installed, but I overlooked that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-T5-Aquarium-...ultDomain_0&hash=item19c3b1293c#ht_1476wt_907

·
Registered
81 Posts
Most 24" fixtures can adjust their legs to fit a 20". For instance, I just got this Sundial and it is over a 20" tank. Current is a MUCH better company than Odyssea (know this from my reefing days) and I can't imagine the Odyssea is much cheaper.

CU-USA01150 Premium Aquatics - CU-USA01150 Aquarium Supplies

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.