Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terribilis toxin can remain toxin for a long period of time, correct? That is what I have read. So I was thinking, if the toxin rubs off the frog and say onto a stone or piece of wood and dried, would it still be toxic? So if you were walking and you tripped, fell, and cut yourself right on that same stone, wood, whatever, would you be in some trouble?

Just some thoughts I would like to get cleared up.

Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
I believe that when the Choco indians coat their dart tips with the toxin, it will remain potent for several months to a year. So yes, if a Terribilis did milk onto the edge of a pointy rock, and then you happened to stumble and poke yourself on that same pointy rock, you would be in a world of trouble. Just to be safe, I don't think I'm going outside today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
The structural integrity of the "released" Batrachotoxin would decrease over time since there are a number of chemically labile bonds in BTX - unfortunately given the potency of this toxin, it would be active after some time (hence the effectiveness of its use in darts). The long term potency of toxins sequestered within the skin of amphibians is due in some part to protection from degradation pathways.

Given the many other challenges of wandering the back country of Columbia, poisoning by "terribilis contaminated" rock or wood is the least of your concerns.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
I wasn't saying that you were waisting time. You just have too much of it to get you on that train of thought to begin with! I get a chuckle out of it when I think of you skipping along a path in South America and falling onto a rock or sharp stick soaked in batrachotoxin. What do you think would be the last thing that goes through your mind?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Well... terribilis only liberates its poison under heavy stress conditions. It´s not true that you can die by only touch them, maybe you will feel a heavy burn in your hand, but nothing else. And I believe that the amount of poison in the case you propose is not enough to achieve the deadly dose...
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top