Dendroboard banner

Wild Fruitfly/Gnats

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Rain_Frog 
#1 ·
Heaven only knows but I have a wild fruitfly infestation going on.

How do you guys get rid of them???

I also have very tiny gnats flying around.

Both are mainly in my springtail cultures.

I am thinking these are the bugs that come in the end of summer and beginning of fall.

Please advise

#7 ·
I was just about to post a thread about the same thing!! I have wild flies that are raping my cultures I have no idea how they are getting into my cups but its driving me nuts. I open up a cup to feed this morning and get attacked by flying bugs!

So the cure is a jar with 50/50 mix of vinegar and dish soap? thats it?

#9 ·
Phorid flies are not trapped by vinegar and soap. That is the wrong attractent. They are attracted to meats or decomposing protiens (in the media the brewer's yeast). You can trap a relatively small number of them by putting a small amount of canned cat food on a glue board (not too much or they will land on the food and avoid the glue board). When you have them around the house, you have to very careful when the cultures are open as the flies are able to rapidly deposit eggs and get out of the culture or you need to check the lids to make sure you don't have small holes in which they can drop the eggs.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.