Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using 2 liter soda bottle crates instead of plastic egg crate (flipped so the open side is facing down of course). I have a 90 gallon aquarium that I'm thinking of converting into a vivarium. I have a big stack of those bottle holders around and figured this might be a good use for them. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....

·
Registered
234 Posts
I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be possible to make this work as you have the materials to hand but I would want to be certain what kind of plastic they were made from so there's no concerns with chemicals leaching from the plastic into the tanks water supply.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You could always trim some height off.
I have a bunch of these around, never considered using one, but I can see the appeal.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am sure it would work, but they will be very tall. You want your false bottom as shallow as possible ( just deep enough to drain). Typically 2 or 3 inches deep. So they would need to be trimmed or you would lose a lot of frog space to false bottom space.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I might be okay with the height. I'd like to have a water area with some fish, so 4-5" sounds about right to me.I don't really plan on keeping dart frogs in it. I actually don't usually keep animals in my tanks anymore (except for small fish, when possible). As I'm getting older, I find that though I like animals, I'd rather have a tank full of really nice plants and not have to worry about caring for animals living in there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Given how scuffed and damaged they tend to be - and how the scratches can be full of lovely things like rotting corn syrup - if you do decide to go for it I'd suggest a deep clean and sterilize first. To me it seems like the shape might be a bit hard to work around and the material pretty hard to trim, but that may not be an issue depending on your design and available tools.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went ahead and did it. They weren't hard to cut at all. I just used hand prunners, and cleaned up the cuts with a dremel. I kind of spilled some dirt in there from a pot, but I'm not worried about it. The scuds and seed shrimp I put in there should be fine. I actually put dirt and leaf litter in all of my aquariums, so this won't be any different. I put some plants in there that I'd like to protect from the very hot weather we've been having. They were in the house, but its not very humid in there. I think this will work out for now, as a mini greenhouse anyways........ plants seem to like it. Hopefully.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are two others I'm kind of doing the same thing (using a tank as a mini greenhouse). The second pic is anubias. That tank has a grow light, so it looks wierd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts