Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The usual rule of thumb for darts is 5 gallons+ for each frog. Even thumbs. Thumbs are comparable in size to mantellas, then why do many keepers and breeders keep their mantellas in with 5 to 6 frogs in a 10 gallon? Just curious, seems a bit cramped.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
It's not really the size of the frog that is the main factor in the enclosure size, it's the behavior and how well they do in groups.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, yes. Didn't mean to compare size of frog to enclosure space. My main point is, Why are a group of six darts that do well in groups kept in a 30+ gallon tanks and a group of six mantellas kept in a ten gallon?

·
Registered
654 Posts
the smallest tank I keep my mantellas in is a 20 gallon, & that's a group of 5 red expectata.
different strokes for different folks. I personally wouldn't keep a group of 5-6 mantellas in a 10 gallon, that's just me...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I personally wouldn't keep a group of 5-6 mantellas in a 10 gallon, that's just me...
Except that's what the red expect's parents were living in :)

When I kept two male expectata in a ten gallon I never saw or heard them call. When I introduced 3 more frogs, I saw them out in the open all the time and they began calling. However, it is a must to provide plenty of cover. Mantellas don't like "pretty, moss lawn" tanks. They like a good 3 inches of leaf litter or heavy foliage to feel comfortable.

They are seasonal breeders, and that's why it's important to keep them in groups for breeding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts