Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound dumb, but it seems a lot of you guys go out of your way to ensure that 2 types of frogs don't interbreed...

i'm curious as to why this is.. are they less robust? i don't plan on doing it, but i'd be nice to know why it's a big no-no

thanks,
sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You know what man i want to know the same thing but i am scared to ask because im sure that some one will say something rude. All we are is curious. Anyways doesn't matter now i would like to know.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Sam,

I think that most froggers are driven by the desire to maintain and propagate PDF species as pure lines with the knowledge that many exist in highly endangered ecosystems. Also I think that many in the hobby don't want to see PDFs go the way of a number of reptiles where selective breeding and species crossing to create new color variants leaves a very confusing picture of what is natural and what is not natural.

I suspect without certain knowledge that some degree of species crossing has occurred within the PDF world in nature which may account for some of the variety you see today. However in nature, selective pressure would ensure that only the most viable crosses remain intact.

My two cents.

Elmo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the quick reply... that rationale sounds perfectly reasonable...

i've noticed so many variants of Tinctorii in particular... are some of those actually artificial cross-breeds?

-sam

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
My understanding is that the many color morphs of Tincs are courtesy of nature (and geography) as opposed to deliberate breeding programs. Given that they have one of the widest distributions among PDFs, the variation is not hard to understand.

Elmo

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I agree with elmoisfive. As far as I know, all readily available tincs in the hobby trade are diferent morphs that nature created and have been documented in the wild. Thankfully, I have yet to hear of any crossbreeds for sale, as they would go almost completely unclaimed.

s.ling said:
thanks for the quick reply... that rationale sounds perfectly reasonable...

i've noticed so many variants of Tinctorii in particular... are some of those actually artificial cross-breeds?

-sam

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I first started, I had a similar curiosity. I'm just used to a lot of crossbreeding in the freshwater fish hobby. Once I was educated, it made a lot of sense. There are a lot of caring people in this community that want to ensure the bloodlines if/when they go extinct.

auratus04 said:
You know what man i want to know the same thing but i am scared to ask because im sure that some one will say something rude. All we are is curious. Anyways doesn't matter now i would like to know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.