Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Once it starts to grow, it grows fast. Will take over tanks, but I personally like the look of tanks with it. Can't think of any other reasons besides that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Its not! just make sure to tape your lid down!(it will push it up and your frogs escape!!) I cant get it to grow enough.
True. Happened with me on my standard lamasi tank! I still use it though. Makes a great background.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I prune mine weekly - I like to keep it a single "layer" - It likes to grow over itself and the leaves behind the new grow die off. - I am a big fan of the oak leaf.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its been pretty good to me especially as a noob. How would i go about trimming it without really harming it?
You can hack it into pieces and it will still grow - but I just trim new growth and and train it to go where I want it in the viv.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
it is good if:

a) you're planting it so that it takes over on purpose (i.e. Ron/skylsdale's Vittatus viv- grown in)

or

b) you're willing to trim it.

If you don't fit into one of those categories, it will end up choking out many, if not most other plants.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Its been pretty good to me especially as a noob. How would i go about trimming it without really harming it?
You can't harm it, that's the whole point...i think the only way i've killed it, is torching it [out of the tank]...drying it out, bleaching, anything, it still grows back...i've had it grow back from a single root!!! so to trim it, just use your fingers, or small scissors, or if you don't mind a charcoal background, torch :p

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
All I can say is...
I love creeping fig & it loves me!
I think it's the greatest thing in the world! It's in all of my tanks except grow-outs. All I do is cut it and throw the clippings where I want more to grow...and they do! (Maybe I'm weird, but I think it's pretty when you've got it growing around rocks, branches, etc.) It's absolutely a no-hassle plant except for trimming every few weeks. And this is coming from someone with a Black Thumb!

(...but then again...I'm great at growing algea too!) :)

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
How many of you have had to strip out a tank that was heavily colonized by creeping fig? Once you get tired of scraping all of the hold fasts off of the glass (and out of the silicone seams) you may regret ever using it.. I refuse to use it at all and any pieces that have been sent to me in plant packages were immediately discarded.

Ed

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think OP was referring to a post I made in another thread.
All of these responses have summed it up nicely: creeping fig is both loved and hated because it grows fast and takes over the tank.

I never use it because it chokes out my more interesting/valuable/difficult to grow plants. It's just too aggressive. I love the way it makes vivariums look lush, but I don't want it anywhere near my tanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How many of you have had to strip out a tank that was heavily colonized by creeping fig? Once you get tired of scraping all of the hold fasts off of the glass (and out of the silicone seams) you may regret ever using it.. I refuse to use it at all and any pieces that have been sent to me in plant packages were immediately discarded.

Ed
This is why. I once decided to remove it from my viv background, i tore off whole chunks of treefern.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Ed
It does feel good to hack it back and "clean up" a tank - I have several varieties, I prefer oak leaf - due to its size and it tends to grow a little slower than the pumilia. Also ficus "panama" grows at a much slower pace.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Once it gets established you simply can't kll it. I really lilke it as well, but it will take over. The oak-leafed variety takes a bit longer to get going and grows more slowly. It does make a nice background cover, but if you want to remove it and you leave any piece of the stem attached, it will come back. I have a clay background that is covered in it and if I tried to pull it out, the whole background would come with it since it has developed an impressive root mat.

Some veterans who didn't have the variety of plants available to them many years ago got tired of it and found it impossible to eradicate without tearing their viv down and, left unchecked, it will overgrow and kill other more delicate (and expensive) plants.

If you like it, though, it's an ideal plant for covering vertical surfaces. It even grows on glass! Just make sure you have good lighting and high humidity. I use two 26-watt daylight cfl bulbs in an Exo or Zoo-Med fixture on my 20 and 29 gallon vivs and this gives plenty of light.

Here's a shot of the oak leaf variety covering a fern panel background:

Azureus Viv Background 2.jpg

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The key to back wall growth is to keep the background damp. It will grow in all directions but it won't grow well in shade. If you slide the light fixture toward the back so that the background is getting good lighting, it will reach for the light and grow upwards.
Its actually good looking, its NICE lush and green. Its hard to get back wall growth from as a rookie. Heres my BG Creepers.

·
Registered
725 Posts
you could probably blend it up, dry it out, burn it, eat it, digest it, and i bet it would grow out of your poop. cant kill the stuff! i've learned my lesson. way too invasive. i have about a garbage bag worth i need to clean out of my 20 gallon...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts