Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has keep fish/inverts in a vivarium that had Ge 2 silicone for any length of time.... i have read countless reports on the good and bad...and at this point i feel like the only way to find out is to try it... i am building two tanks for vampire crabs, with a waterfall and an fliter in each ( Reptology 70 Internal Filter) ...that has charcoal which i hope will filter out any small amounts of toxins. And the areas that i am using the ge 2 are above the water line and mixed with peat moss... another test i am planning on doing is adding feeder guppies and maybe some ghost shimp to the water... first... ( canary in a coal mine )... and see...

one other note is that neither of my tubes say Bio seal on them...

ugh...

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If it doesn't smell like strong vinegar then it has the organotins in it. The labeling for bioseal were incidental to the manufacturing process as it was added as a catalyst which changed the curing from having an off gassing of vinegar to one of ammonia.

There is data that indicates that organotins are a problem, and may be mobile from the silicone and that it can persist in the soil. If it is mobile, it can act in a number of ways on the animals ranging from endocrine disruption to a teratogen. Search for the bioseal thread and read it for yourself.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts