Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have Dischidia pectinoides and Myrmecodia tuberosa in there vivariums. My tuberosa has been doing really well and has now started to grow two new leaves. But the Pectinoides is still looking pretty good but when I had it leaning against a moist surface the pods started to rot! I havent had it in a viv yet but I plan to treat it like an air plant after seeing what moisture will do to it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have had my D. pectinoides for years and te thing is absolutely huge. I grow it at the very top of my background and soak it every time I water. It blooms pretty much all year, but rarely produces the inflated leaves. It has even on several occassions set fruit producing viable seed. The seed germinated but didn't do much else in there.

If you wind up killing yours let me know and send you some cuttings.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mine is growing well in the top left hand corner of my terrarium, mounted on the coco fiber panel. I water it by misting a few times per week. It has the nice puffy pods, has flowered once, and did set seed. I'm still waiting to see if the seeds germinate for me, and I gave a few seeds to some friends.

JHupp, do you fertilize yours at all? I have heard others say it is a real no-no to fertilize this plant, but mine is looking a little yellow after setting seed--a typical response when a plant is nitrogen starved. I don't know what I'd do to fertilize it without risking the frogs, but I was just wondering.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think I have fertilized mine. I have always assumed that the lack of inflated leaves has been the result of abundant nutrients, but I don't know.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I believe black jungle has a fertilizer Dyna-grow. I think its safe in small doses by i would not overdo it.
Why your shopping take a look at the other dishinidia, they have. They are my next two plant purchases. I met a local grower that does the indy show with the quality captives girls. He said he had 4 varieties. Im going to get some cuttings soon.
Ace King

·
Registered
370 Posts
Jace,

If you are interested I also grow D. ovata 'Watermelon Leaf', D. platyphylla, and D. hirsuta. I can send you cuttings for the cost of shipping or we could work out a trade. PM me and we can talk more.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ant Plants

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents on the subject of Ant Plants. Dischidias are one of the most commonly known Ant Plants. There are many species. Names don't mean too much since there has be little work done on them. The most often seen is pectinoides. It is a great plant but can be tricky. Position matters allot. It needs lots of humidity, bright light and warmth. 85 is ideal. It should never be allowed to sit against a constant source of water. It will rot and the rot can spread and kill the entire plant in a day or 2. If you enjoy the inflated leaf Dischidia major (rafflesiana) is a good choice and it is not as prone to rot. It likes the same conditions.
Other interesting Ant Plants are the Ant ferns (Lecanopteris). These ferns produce rhizomes that house ants in nature. They sort of look like the are flowing over the surface of the tree they are living on. They are hard to find here in the US so you may want to scarf one up when you see it. They do very well in a Vivarium if planted on a stick or fern panel high in the tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts