Dendroboard banner

Whoa! That was a close one!

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  snmreptiles 
#1 ·
Today, I fed my azureus before I went to work. Somehow, I left the vivarium lid pulled back, then went to work - must have gotten preoccupoed with my FF culture (I dropped it and that made a hole in the top). It's wierd too because I've always been paranoid that I would leave the lid open.

anyways... I came home and saw the viv with the lid open and just about had a heart attack! The darts are all there though. Luckily I only worked a short shift today, I don't know what would have happened if I worked a longer shift. I really lucked out this time!

#3 ·
I know how you are feeling. Today the door to one of my vertical tens (held closed with magnets) was wide open! I have no idea how long it was open. The bad part, there are four intermedius in it!! :shock: I found three right away, so we might have lost one. I don't know for sure because they are such good hiders and I can almost always find three, but the fourth one I can never seem to find. I guess I will find out in the morning. They are usually all out in the early morning hours. I will just have to sleep with my fingers crossed.

-Shelley

#5 ·
Thumbs are real good at hiding, I remember one time when I couldnt find one of my imitators in there old vertical ten, I was really paranoid and looked everywhere, and after taking everything out I finally found him hiding in a crevice of the corkbark.

G
#6 ·
Man, I know the feeling of having a missing thumb. My new intermedius had eluded me for a couple days, and I finally couldn't take it any longer. I started rummaging through the tank, of course I found them, and they were looking good. I was worrying about nothing.

#7 ·
DaFrogMan said:
Hope you find those intermedius Shelley.... keep us posted.
No happy ending here. :cry: The next day when I got up I checked on them and only three of them were out and about. I still thought that maybe the fourth was just hiding. I went in the room a couple hours later to feed my rabbit, who also lives in the room, and I found number four on the floor next to his cage.....all crunchy and dried up! :x I guess all wasn't lost, at least it wasn't all of them. I still felt bad though. I don't know if I didn't get the tank shut properly or if the magnet decided not to hold. We also tried the magnet thing on our vent tank and it has never held the door shut. Luckily that tank has a hood that can hold the door shut. But now I don't trust the magnet on the intermedius tank. You live and learn I guess. Shity lesson if you ask me.

-Shelley

G
#10 ·
:cry: Aw Shelly that's so sad that you lost one of them. I'm so sorry hon. I would be devestated if I lost one of my frogs. I'm a mother hen and do a head count every night, especially with the frogletts. I don't have any thumbs yet and all my frogs are pretty bold so they are easy to find. Fortunantly (knock on wood) I've not lost a frog or snake to an escape yet (just a couple of green anoles). Was the tank door something you made or bought?

G
#11 ·
Im sorry about ure intermedius :( . Look on the bright side we have all learnt a valuable lesson; that it would be a good idea to put some sort of manual clasp on the door just to back up the magnent incase it fails.

#12 ·
Yeah, or just don't trust a stupid magnet! lol It was a door that we made. We have been together for almost six and a half years now and we had never lost anything...unitl we moved into this house!! I've known from the beginning that this house hates me. :twisted: We even had an escapee hatchling banded gecko once in an apartment. I'm talking TINY little bugger. And we found her walking across our living room the next night!! But not in this house! We lost a snake when we first moved in, at least one gecko (might have found her) if not more and a couple frogs. It's all got to be this house! :?

-Shelley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.